boiler issue

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a vailliant ecotec 831 boiler installed in august 2012 , out of warranty now, during that time has been repaied twice under warranty for faulty diverter valve, now i get f28 and f54 code together, from what i managed to find out f54 refers to models 2012 onwards and f28 gas related issues..gas meter fine as cooker is working ok..had a a gas safe guy look at it..said it was gas valve gone in my boiler...didnt give me a price but not looking forward to it...they dont make them like they us to do they..only 6 years old and serviced reguarly..ffs.!

Faulty ignition or no gas.
Can mean more than just a faulty gas valve, ie spark failure but if it’s been diagnosed as the valve. Might not be cheap, parts get more expensive as boilers go past about 5 years.
If I remember I’ll get a quote for the valve on that boiler so you have an idea what you’re getting walloped for labour.

So what am I looking at price wise ? Gas guy says its the valve.Before I pull my trousers down.lol

Depends on Vailant pricing mate. £150 for valve would be about average. Labour should be less than £100 really, usually takes an hour or so.

It will be a Honeywell valve. Just pull the front cover, and get the PN.

Or look up the PN in the manual.
Then order one yourself.

yes i seen some on ebay for a lot less then £150 but need the part number...gonna check the part number tommorrow..where would the location of the gas valve be ?

Or could find the part from the GC number.

White label under bottom left of case.

fd5630e847d52a0e94f7a02aec1cb048.jpg

This could possibly be yours.

Thanks guys got the part waiting for gas safe guy to come..hopefully today,...

In my experience if you supply your own part the labour cost increases, I would be interested to know what he charges and how long he is there?

I don’t mind the customer supplying the part. Saves me faffing about at the merchants which will incur a cost for time anyway. They will generally get it cheaper online too.

Actually the gas safe guy told me himself to source the part, he gave me the part number and told me that he normally just purchases the part of the shelf and it was £140 for the gas valve, whereas I got original brand new gas valve for £90 from a well known auction site..now how much he is gonna charge me in labour, I don't know but he is a mate of a good mate of mine and was told to look after me..lol..😀

I'd fit the fooker myself tbh !!!! BUT that's me...lol

My APS is still shorted, pilot ignition does not work (use stove lighter) but it's an old boiler with constant pilot anyway, plus the PRV is leaking so i have it 'slightly' topping up at all times with small drip...

Ferrololi 701 i fitted in 1997...ha ha

EDIT - There again i presume they need adjusting but surely you could just copy the old one so not sure....

im gonna take out a boiler insurance..can any of you guys recommened a good one as im sure this vaillant boiler is going to be nothing but trouble, ive had it for 6 years, been repaired 3 times in that under warranty, twice the diverter went and once for a faulty seal that was leaking water...and now after 6 years the gas valve went faulty..its ben serviced regularly , last service this year in march i think it was..

The price of efficiency. More complicated the higher the failure rate + manufacturers using the cheapest componenets to maximise profits.
Corgi Homeplan I recommend.

Had a vaillant boiler fitted 9 years ago in the old house where I used to live in yorkshire, only thing ever went wrong with it was the pressure in the expansion tank dropped which I sorted myself with a bicycle pump ;) but something I didn't do, which some of you my think to be wrong! I never had it touched by service engineer, and in 9 years only the pressure drop, perfect otherwise never missed a beat :)

Reactions: MH
Our Vaillant has been bombproof to date, gets serviced every year.
The whole heating system gets serviced too.
Drain, flush, fill run to temp, drain, flush, fill and top up with 2 X X100.

7 year warranty too.

Back