Boiler - Ecotec 824 or Ecotec plus 937

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
I went through the local council to get my gran a new boiler for free.
She has 2 bathrooms in the house and it has central heating in all the rooms (3 bedrooms, 2 store rooms, 1 dining and 1 kitchen).

The council are only offering the Valliant EcoTec 824 boiler, however the installation engineer, who came today, did say the 824 was sufficient but the 937 would be better as we can have instant hot water and pressure levels would not vary.

So the question is - Do I go for the free ecotec 824 which would be installed in 4-5 weeks or go and pay over £1100+ for the new 937 with the installation (Council will not provide or install)?

Yeah it seems an easy way of thinking but im thinking more practically rather then just the money.
Of course free cant compare but in regards to essentials, such as the pressure levels when 2 taps are open and instant hot water.
It's going to be an investment for atleast 10 years, so what im getting at is, will the difference between the 2 be minimal or small or a big difference?

He is bullshitting you.

Both are condensing combi boilers as per regulation, and a combi boiler means precisely hot water as soon as you turn your tap on.

He may give you the 'hot water will run slower' shtick but so what? All combi boilers do.

Have the council employed/ sub contracted him?

Sounds like a shyster to me.

It's going to be an investment for atleast 10 years,

Free is not a very big investment though isn't it?

Put it this way. If you were offered a mini metro for free, or a VW Golf for market price, what would you do?

as above matey go for the free 1. for the difference in price 0-1100 the rate of hot water isnt all that much better, i paid 1700 for a worcester rather than a 750 one. i wish id got the cheaper as the hot water is still painfuly slow.

Ok thats fine then. The whole point of this boiler was to get instant hot water and to try and keep pressure levels the same. As the taps are both in use most of the time, especially in the mornings, and in winter the central heating is in use most of the time.

It is specially for my gran so rather go for complete best even if the difference was between a free boiler and £1300, but as you guys are saying its minimum I guess I will stick to it then :)

Ecotec plus 937 is around £1100 retail
so there doing ya no favors @ all there they should have deducted the cost of the 824 around £700 so ya should have been offered the 937 for a max £400 more thats retail so trade a £250
tell em stuff it bud there having ya ass @
i would find a diff installer if possible they make good ££ on this grant work and ive seen some shoddy installs
pipes clipped around skirts where there was easy assess to the floorboards
they think they can do a shitty job and get paid top dough if you where paying they would not try pull this shit ..it bugs me as its not hard to do a nice neat job

I think I wasn't clear enough from my 1st post - The government provide a grant (warmfront) which goes towards a new fitted boiler.
The warmfront scheme have and only allows you to choose from 2 manufacturers, the main one being valliant. They provide the engineer themselves as well.
When I spoke to the engineer he suggested the ecotec 824 as its the best from the list he is allowed to choose from.
When asking him about the 937, he did say it is better in regards to pressure and instant hot water but if I wanted that specific boiler I would have to speak to warmfront.
Warmfront declined any other boilers and said its the only ones they do and recomend and if I wanted the 937 I would have to pay and get a engineer myself to install it (basically won't provide the grant or anything towards it).

Much clearer mobs.

Still, it sounds ike warmfront are prohibiting you from upgrading with the discount so the question has been answered.

just bought a boiler and watercylinder of these at a very cheap price. plumbnation.co.uk. they deliver all over country. i got worcester greenstar 12i aqnd a 125 or 175 litre water cylinder plus bits and pieces, cant remember the price but alot cheaper than the rest.

Take the 824 as either will run your central heating no matter how many rads you have in there. Ive seen a 85000 btu boiler (which is close to what the 824 is) running 32 rads with no problem whatsoever. Your hot water is the inspectors concern but it does something like 10 litres a minute so unless grans running 2 baths at the same time you aint got a problem.
GO WITH THE FREE ONE They really are a very very good boiler and seedbuk band A so very efficient too. Im not sure but the 937 is basically the same boiler but it has a storage tank therefore a faster flow of heated water but only until the stored water is used.

Back