Bodged Wiikey Install

ra3ac

Inactive User
Reaction score
Though id give it a go, and almost done it.

I lifted a pad, so with the instructions on the forum thought i would just attach it to the chip foot but stupidly got solder over 3 feet, trying to clear it but without a mutimeter i cant tell if its all clear.

The Wii works but chip not doing anthing.

Anyone willing to have a try? im in Hatfield, hertfordshire but willing to post - obviously will pay for your time.

Bit disapointed as wanted to do it myself but i know if i keep trying im going to kill it.

Thanks

You can pick up a Multi Meter for a few quid nowadyas. I found instead of soldering directly onto the tiny chip leg, try scraping the track near where the pad was with a stanley blade. Only gently enough to remove the coating, then you should be able to solder to that instead.

My legs got solder on them and mine works fine. I think that Panasonic chip is more for Gamecube graphics than the actuall Wii stuff so should all be ok.

But saying that all of my GC games work fine too.

I gave it a try and just feel luck that it boots normaly. Would prefer someone who knows what they are doing as gave a small shiver up my back and a quiver in my pants when the solder went over the legs.

If no one wants to have a go then as the chip isnt working and i have no idea how to remove it i might try fitting a WiiFree to the Wiikey points - sounds slopy but in theory should work as the wiikey isnt working.

But as i said id rather get a pro to do it now. Any takers?

Last edited:
which pad did u lift??

and if i were u get some desoldering brade

and were u covered the solder on the pins

i would clean up the solder

and take the wiikey off

seems to me the leg u sodlered u didn't get a proper conenction

take it offf and use flux and the braid clean all pads and legs

re tin the pads after 5 mins
plenty of flux

and then leave it alone

ok were u doing a wire install or just draging the solder to the chip

and check pads on wii key tooo

lifted the pad on the wikey (Wii is fine) that goes to the second leg on the top right of the chip. Was a solder and drag job - lifted the pad so tried to add a cable to the chip leg.

Thanks for the advise lads but id rather pay an expert to solve the prob than me killing it. If i had a second chance from scratch i think i could do it but as im not 100% what im doing i dont want to push my luck with it.

Thanks for the reply. Cant acces the link as at work (12 hour night shift) as the site is blocked.

http://www.ps2-scene.org/m37r01d/images/Wiikey/CIMG1678.jpg
using this pic from google its the second in from the left, you can see the track going to the second leg of the chip - not the 2 big hole things.

Really wish i found this site before i started soldering, some good tips on it

Should be possible to add a Wiifree to existing solder points - i think

just get a wiifree

noticed with these chips is that eiher the pads are weak or if u try to solder to the leg some times u can nack it up

What are you testing it with?

If it's an NTSC game it won't work until you run the boot disc to put the region override on. I also forgot this step and thought it wasn't working, then found a backup of Mario Kart Double Dash (PAL) and it came straight on.

You can find the files for the disc here - http://www.wiikey.cn/resources.html

Don't give up, it feels much better to get it working yourself.

sorry to disapoint - wasted a £30 chip and screwdriver but im cutting my losses and getting cracker666 to do it.

Thanks for all the advice

edit - tried with pal game and WIIKEY boot disk

Thought i nearly did it but after looking at cracker666's work i made the right decision to let him fix it - i killed the WIIKEY. Cant give enough praise to his work

At least you are up and running again. Now go get some games! :p

the pic of the wii key is that what u did??
and the pic with wires is cracker666 install??

first pic looks like u needed a hotter soldering iron

because the solder looks like it only melted a bit

the pic of the wii key is that what u did??
and the pic with wires is cracker666 install??

first pic looks like u needed a hotter soldering iron

because the solder looks like it only melted a bit

Yeap the Wiikey had been installed with multistrand wire, I prefer single core Enamel coated wire far easier and neater.

For people Whom is looking at this for ideas on fitting their own wiikey
Fit it remote Ie using the wire install, use flux, a decent iron and solder and insulate the joint well.

Remote fitting makes it easier to remove for future developments, better modchip.

Yeap the Wiikey had been installed with multistrand wire, I prefer single core Enamel coated wire far easier and neater.

For people Whom is looking at this for ideas on fitting their own wiikey
Fit it remote Ie using the wire install, use flux, a decent iron and solder and insulate the joint well.

Remote fitting makes it easier to remove for future developments, better modchip.

hmmm installation looks nice

plus u have used a good soldering iron and flux .etc

u can tell by lookin at the joints

and yeh have to agree i always like wire installs less hassle .etc

Back