Software Blue screen of death

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My PC (Windows 7) has suddenly started crashing with the blue screen of death at least once a day.

We're do I start sussing out were the problem lies and, is it likely to be hardware or software ?

I did but didn't get time make a note. I'm just trying to suss out were the logs kept , I'm in event viewer but cant see them BSOD logs

right click computer> manage> event viewer. for the logs

go to windows logs > system and they should be in there. sort by error.
event viewer.JPG
the log may not be helpful. they rarely are for me.

Stop your computer from restarting when the BSOD appears so you can take a note of the error.

Control Panel/System and Security/System
On the left select Advanced System Settings
Open the Advanced tab and click on the Settings tab under Startup and Recovery
Untick the Automatically Restart box

I found the error
Kernel Power
Event 41
doesnt mean much to me tbh

If its PSU related have you added any extra hardware recently?

Kernal power 41 is just logging the event that the computer has shut down unexpectedly...IE crashed.
and not the cause of the shut down

I had the same problem after a pc build kept going to BOD, looking in system management was next to useless to see what was wrong, it only logged the crash...kernel power 41
so i ran whocrashed : Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer
it pointed me in the direction of a heat / thermal problem, so I resat the CPU heat sink with some new thermal paste and that cured it.
not saying it's CPU related but its worth running the above "whocrashed" or "blue screen viewer" (also posted above) to see if it helps identify the cause.

Last edited:
I'll have to dig deeper over the weekend thanks for the help

look for a file named memory.dmp - if you send it to me I can run it thru Microsoft diagnsotics and tell you what caused issue

I deal with servers and after many years I am an expert with analysing memory dump files that a BSOD generates.

First step with BSOD is to ensure auto-restart is disabled and check the top few lines of the blue screen looking for (depending on Windows version) a short description and, ideally, an 8-digit hex code like 0xC0000008 and possibly the name of the file that halted Windows.

Google the results for an indication of where to start.

got the file, will run it thru Microshite Diagnostics once I have done deploying virtual servers in Azure

and why is it when you deploy virtual server in Azure MS defaults to US as country and keyboars considering I have told it to use the data centre in the UK .. sorry just a rant

I distabled the auto reboot on error and the error is
0x00000F4
I've checked the ram and the only other USB I have plugged in is a 4 x USB hub port.
I took that out and it still happened then I read this:-
How to Fix Stop:0x000000F4 Blue Screen Error in Windows
I'm just defragging the HD with Hirens it was heavily defragged. Once done I'm going to replace the CMOS battery and see if that helps

Back