'Bloody Sunday Killings Were Unjustifiable'

Rodbouy

Banned
Reaction score
The inquiry into Bloody Sunday has found the killing of civilians by members of the British army was "unjustified and unjustifiable".To view this content you need Flash and Javascript enabled in your browser.

Please download Flash from the Adobe download website.

Revealing the findings in a statement to the House of Commons, David Cameron said the soldiers were acting under an order they should not have been given.

The first shot was fired by the British Army, he said, but none of the casualities had had a firearm and there was absolutely no justification for the shooting of civilians.

"There are no ambiguities - it was unjustified and unjustifiable," he said.

"In no case was any warning given by soldiers before opening fire.

"They lost self control and forgot, or ignored, their instructions and training."

The inquiry found many of the soldiers gave false accounts of what happened in order to justifiy their actions.

"Some were killed or injured while clearly fleeing the scene or assisting others," the Prime Minister said.

"One person shot while crawling away from the soldiers."

He added: "You do not defend the British army by defending the indefensible.

"On behalf of the Government, and indeed the country, I am deeply sorry."

Tony Doherty, whose father Paddy died on Bloody Sunday, said the victims had been vindicated and the Parachute Regiment disgraced.

"It can now be proclaimed to the world that the dead and the wounded of Bloody Sunday, civil rights marchers, one and all, were innocent, one and all, gunned down on their own streets by soldiers who had been given to believe that they could kill with perfect impunity," he said.

The Director of Public Prosecutions is considering whether any police investigation will arise from the inquiry's findings.

On January 30 1972, British troops opened fire during an unauthorised march in the Bogside, a staunchly nationalist area of Londonderry.

They killed 13 people and wounded 14 others, one of whom died later. The victims were all unarmed Catholics.

source sky news

Oh dear :( A sad day for our armed forces...

About time the truth was made public though

Think that this may give some closure to the families of the deceased though, if anyone is to be prosecuted it should be those from which the orders come..... Solders follow orders, that is their job... not to question them.

Good thing is tho is thats it done its out. People will hopefully move on and put it in the past.

The BA and Govt caused a lot of problems but were also on edge with the IRA and it was the ones in the middle that were caught in the crossfire.

But its good to see a correct inquiry done although I agree with what a unionist MP said about the cost of it all and how it could have went to better use and still be done but at a lesser financial cost.

Last edited:
Only confessing up to what the rest of the world already knew.
Could have save hundreds of millions of pounds by being honest in the first place.

its funny aint it that those in power, the ones who give the orders, never really get brought to justice, and yet these are meant to be our peers, theres something really wrong with our society.

hopefully some closure can be found by the survivors and family members, however i certainly would like to see some prosecutions come of this, not just the soldiers but those in command, and not to mention the countless robbing bastrads known as lawyers who have profited no end out of this inquiry............

If only the successive governments over the years had put their hands up and been honest about it then it would have saved a lot of grieve for everyone, especially the families of those innocent people that were killed and injured.

They knew the truth all along and tried to cover it up by lying through their teeth and only prolonged the sufferring.

I hope the families can get some closure from the report.

"A lawyer representing British soldiers involved in the Bloody Sunday inquiry has insisted the report's findings did not open the door for prosecutions"

From the BBC website.

Nearly £200 million to complete this report is absolutely Rediculous.

It is not right for David Cameron to apologise. Let us not forget the IRA
Now all we need is for them to apologize for all the atrocities they perpetrated.
Lets start with the bombing of innocent people in the UK and the children they slaughtered.

If it's not Gerry Adams his sidekick Mcguiness and all the terrorist that follow them having a pop at our troops, it's the fooking Muslims.
Always one-sided.
Not even the Germans were demonized as bad as our troops and look what they did.

Now all we need is for them to apologize for all the atrocities they perpetrated.
Lets start with the bombing of innocent people in the UK and the children they slaughtered.

If it's not Gerry Adams his sidekick Mcguiness and all the terrorist that follow them having a pop at our troops, it's the fooking Muslims.
Always one-sided.
Not even the Germans were demonized as bad as our troops and look what they did.

Because unfortunately mate the ones who were killed were nothing to do with the IRA they were innocent people out protesting when they were butchered. So please read up on what happened before posting your normal enticing drivel.

oh and here just incase your normal not understanding or reading about the topic

Read here

Last edited:
Like they said on the news last night, Northern Ireland was a very different place back then, British troops were welcomed by a hostile reception wherever they went!

I'm glad the families of the innocent might get closure from this but I agree with emerald that we must not forget what the IRA done! The news clip about Bloody Sunday stated that Martin McGuinness was there on that very day representing the IRA and probably carrying a machine gun!

Thats the trouble with cover ups. The truth will inevitably come back to bite you in the arse one day. If only people had admitted the truth back then mabye things would have been different.

thebigman

As stated the truth will always come out and i really hope the families of the victims can find some sort of closure now.

as a wise man John Lennon once said

Why the hell are the English there anyway?
As they kill with God on their side
Blame it all on the kids the IRA
As the bastards commit genocide! Aye! Aye! Genocide!

If you had the luck of the Irish
You'd be sorry and wish you was dead
You should have the luck of the Irish
And you'd wish you was English instead!
Yes you'd wish you was English instead

He was a smart man

as a wise man John Lennon once said

Why the hell are the English there anyway?
As they kill with God on their side
Blame it all on the kids the IRA
As the bastards commit genocide! Aye! Aye! Genocide!

If you had the luck of the Irish
You'd be sorry and wish you was dead
You should have the luck of the Irish
And you'd wish you was English instead!
Yes you'd wish you was English instead

He was a smart man

A suppose that kinda sums it up Rod!!
Not one fuckin bullet hit Yoko.:arrrr:

Just a quick one to those that dont know. The british army WERE NOT welcomed by a hostile reception when they first arrived in N Ireland. They were welcomed by the Catholic minority as saviours. How that changed eh.

The Politics of Violence

Author Robbie McVeigha

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

also about damien comments here

It will be some good reading Emarald :) we will give you some reading anyway, while you waste away your hate filled days :)

Last edited:

Always one-sided.

you know, some people need to read up before they spout, lest we forget the loyalists and the amount of people innocent and guilty that they have killed, being a catholic and irish myself, i can sympathise with all people of ireland catholics and protestants, but it seems that depending on which side of the fence / colour / religion / country you are , a revolution by the oppressed will either be exactly that, a revolution, an uprising, freedom fighters, or just plain old terrorists. And lets not forget the british government in all this, including the army, special and police forces in the atrocitites that have been carried out across the water, as well as politicians.

as an example

afghanistan
iraq

hmmmmm oprressed revolutionarys, or terrorists..........

Hopefully ireland can put all this behind them now, across the religious divides for a better peacful ireland, i mean cmon, lets face it, i think they deserve it now.

Just a quick one to those that dont know. The british army WERE NOT welcomed by a hostile reception when they first arrived in N Ireland. They were welcomed by the Catholic minority as saviours. How that changed eh.

Ok maybe I should have rephrased that however the thread is about Bloody Sunday that took place in 1972 to which I was referring. The British Army lost 763 soldiers with 6,100 injured during the troubles, 129 of them were killed in 1972.

Back