block xbox 360 live with my buffalo whrg54s router

pusher

Inactive User
Reaction score
Could any one talk me through how I would block xbox360 live connection using the router settings?
Had a play around in the router config but i don't know what I am doing really.

cheers

hi mate i guess you could give the xbox mac address a static ip address so every time that it's turned on the router will give it the same ip address.

Then you can block the ip address in the router.

You could also go into xbox live settings and give it a static ip address, some thing stupid like 192.168.168.168 and then disable the dhcp settings, this means that every time the 360 was turned on it would be looking for an ip address that doesn't exist.

to give static ip addy on the router.

turn everything on and have a look in your router page for lan ip set up, if you go to add then you should see the 360 mac's addy, add this so now every time you start the 360 it's given the same ip. (it should add the mac address and the service automatically when you click add"

192.168.1.5 xbox 360 00:17:FA:53:12:8C

Then you can block it under " block services"

might as well do the 360 though, it be easier...

many thanks.
I'm going to have a try to do it the router way, sounds easier to apply/remove remotely. I want to be able to switch it on and off - the lad is so addicted to Halo3 he's getting up at the crack of dawn to get a couple of hours in before school, and he sorted the pulling out the network cable trick no problem!!
Will let you know.

is there not parental controls on the 360 now where you can allow access time?

There is but I don't think its password protected so he would just change it.

I've had a look on the router. The xbox connects to 192.168.11.8. On the buffalo router in network settings>>ip filter, the page looks like this
IP Address Based Filter
Operation
Direction
IP Address Source IP Address: → Destination:
Protocol All
ICMP
Manual Protocol Number:
TCP/UDP Method of specify
Port Number:

Am I in the right place to block traffic to the xbox on this page?

There is also a page to edit the NAT table which looks like this:-

Group Group Name:
WAN Side IP Address
Manual IP Address:
Protocol All
ICMP
Manual Protocol Number:
TCP/UDP Method of specification
Port Number:
LAN IP Address
LAN Port TCP/UDP Port:

I believe the xbox uses port 3074 but I haven't managed to stop the connection yet.
Any ideas?

PS I disabled the connection by putting a false IP address on the xbox last night but by the time I'd got home from work today he had got it connected again!

mmm crafty little blighter...he must know or tested the network settings and then enabled it back to dchp.

Your going to have to block the ip address or the range.

Is there any where in there where you can assign the mac address to an ip address for the 360?

then you can go to block ip and add it.

router.jpg

router1.jpg

you could also look in the family settings on the xbox, that way you can allow how much time is spent on it etc.

wxw.xbox.com/en-US/support/familysettings/default.htm

Thanks, yes he's crafty but I'm loads more crafty than him!!

Think I've sorted it now with your last advice, I can hear him bashing away on Google for a solution and Halo3's gone quiet.

Dad Power!!

cheers

..lolol...password protect the router......don't forget:Clap:

Back