Blacklist required to protect kids

Shaan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a pre-written blacklist for the protection of kids?

Kids browse the internet quite often and i would like to prevent access to the vugarities of the net.

I am aware that i could write a hosts file but i want a file with a comprehensive list and something that
is perhaps updated.

I am also aware of net nanny, etc., but i prefer to do things manually.

I blocked the lot from my eleven year old, when I got her a lappie last xmas.

I then add websites one by one as I see fit. There is just too much bad stuff out there.

No you tube/ no bebo/ no my space / no facebook or anything like that, as there is a lot of content on there that you cannot control effecitvely.

She has Live Messenger but I log all conversations, in case I need to investigate.

Just set the parental control to the highest, and set a password. Every site will require a password then. So your able to regulate what sites are visited.

Possibly the best thing to do is to block all the stuff you are worried about now, and monitor the logs to pick out anything you are worried about.

A lot of routers offer keyword filtering too, it may be worth plugging stuff into this as well as a backup.

Does the whitelist filter work well wiggy, in foxfilter?

Because I think that might be somethign worth looking at, as sometimes IE can throw up errors even when I override with a password (javascript errors etc).

Does the whitelist filter work well wiggy, in foxfilter?

Because I think that might be somethign worth looking at, as sometimes IE can throw up errors even when I override with a password (javascript errors etc).

I use the word blacklist, it scans the page before displaying it, if it finds any inappropriate words the page is blocked. I've needed to whitelist a couple of sites, but never used it in a whitelist only setup. I would imagine it would work fine, it's a pretty solid plugin. One problem is it's not yet compatible with firefox 3 , so i'm sticking with FF2 until an updated plugin is available (not just foxfilter, a few of my extensions aren't yet compatible)

Wiggy

Kids are far too clever for this stuff. When they get curious about something they will get through any filters you set up faster than the time it took you to set them up. If you are seriously worried about what your kids can browse then the only solution is to only allow computer access when supervised.

Dont think that breaking through these filters is something only older kids do. I know 7-10 year olds who regularly talk about computer hacking as though they were pros and certainly know a hell of a lot more about computers than their parents !

Kids are far too clever for this stuff. When they get curious about something they will get through any filters you set up faster than the time it took you to set them up. If you are seriously worried about what your kids can browse then the only solution is to only allow computer access when supervised.

Dont think that breaking through these filters is something only older kids do. I know 7-10 year olds who regularly talk about computer hacking as though they were pros and certainly know a hell of a lot more about computers than their parents !

I don't disagree. I know my 9 year old son can crack any protection in minutes (well he learnt from me ;)), but he also knows he'll be banned from the computer if caught. I have VNC installed so i can see what he's upto remotely at anytime, even from my phone. He's wise enough not to even try.

Wiggy

Back