Guides and Info Bitcoin mining- does PC speed matter?

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As title asks- is there any advantage in having a super-duper fast PC for mining, or can any old thing just plug away at it?
I know very little on the subject of Bitcoin although I get the general idea.
A friend has asked me about the possibility of running a laptop on solar power. Which is perfectly viable during the day (here) but would need sufficient battery backup to flywheel through the night- hence the power question. If a cheap netbook or similar could do the job then it shouldn't be too difficult.

TIA.

I had a m8 who go into it bigtime, he got a couple of these super duper machines running 24/7 but wasn't having much luck.

He jacked it in when he got his electric bill, it was 4 figures for the quarterly bill

I had a m8 who go into it bigtime, he got a couple of these super duper machines running 24/7 but wasn't having much luck.

He jacked it in when he got his electric bill, it was 4 figures for the quarterly bill

I always thought the economics of it were iffy to say the least, but spending a grand to gain a fiver- well that takes the biscuit lol!

I always thought the economics of it were iffy to say the least, but spending a grand to gain a fiver- well that takes the biscuit lol!
When I say he had a couple of machines I mean a few. Him and a few workmates chucked in to fund it. Those big machines chew some serious electric. I know between them they lost a few bob paying for the juice and a hit on selling the machines.
I looked into it myself a few years back but realised I've as much chance getting a bitcoin as getting 3 numbers on the Lottery nevermind 5 or 6, impossible

Probably not worth it now unless you can afford some high end custom mining ASIC hardware and have cheap electricity.

Back