Birthday party snub sparks debate

karym6

DW Regular
Reaction score
An eight-year-old boy has sparked an unlikely outcry in Sweden after failing to invite two of his classmates to his birthday party.

The boy's school says he has violated the children's rights and has complained to the Swedish Parliament.

The school, in Lund, southern Sweden, argues that if invitations are handed out on school premises then it must ensure there is no discrimination.

The boy's father has lodged a complaint with the parliamentary ombudsman.

He says the two children were left out because one did not invite his son to his own party and he had fallen out with the other one.

The boy handed out his birthday invitations during class-time and when the teacher spotted that two children had not received one the invitations were confiscated.

"My son has taken it pretty hard," the boy's father told the newspaper Sydsvenskan.

"No one has the right to confiscate someone's property in this way, it's like taking someone's post," he added.

A verdict on the matter is likely to be reached in September, in time for the next school year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7479758.stm

PC gone mad again? you couldn't make this up

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

lmao some people are so sad, the kids of today are going to be the over sensitised to EVERYTHING moaning cant do nothing for themselfs rulers of countries

im glad ill be in a box when its all so bad that humanity collapses due to not wanting to upset anyone

It might sound mad but my wifes cousin has her kids in a state school (although its in an area where the parents think they are a cut above the rest) - if there is a birthday in the class "all" the other children are "expected" to take a present in regardless of whether there is a party or not?? If they dont the parents get shunned at the school gates etc... with whispers and knowing looks all round!!

My wifes cousin doesnt care but she said some of her friends feel quite intimidated by it !!

Just to point out, before people get carried away - that this didnt happen in the UK, but in Sweden.

I only posted it as it was vaguely humurous - not to spark a political debate.

It seems a silly story, but if only two little kids were excluded from the party then that is a horrible thing to do to little kids.
Imagine how those 2 kids would feel about it. I hate to see kiddies disappointed.
Silly to take it to law though.
If the birthday child was mine I would have 'encouraged' him/her not to leave out only two from the whole class.
That's nasty.

Great so they are going to force kids to have kids they dont like at their party.... feckin madness

Right thats it.

Im going to sue every mother fucker who didn't let me play football, invite me to a party, let me have 'seconds' on their ciggy, include me in a round, and every woman who turned my sexual advances down!

The amount of disappointments in my life, surely I could make a million out of this?

Over sensitive pricks FTW!

Murder,famine,disease and being left out of a kids party.

Great so they are going to force kids to have kids they dont like at their party.... feckin madness

they two kids could have bullied or done sommit nasty to the birthday child and thats how they didnt want them there

would you invite someone who has bullied or upset you to a party? (wife's excluded)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Because none of the numerous men i've had, have ever said 'no'.

Back