Bird box cam 2010

Curly

Inactive User
Reaction score
In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought..
Spring must be on the way folks!!!!
One of the first signs of spring is when I begin to show you all my tits ;)
Following the success of last years stream from my birdbox, I've got everything setup again for this year.
I've had the box down to clean it out and fitted a new plastic roof. The idea behind this was to allow more light in during the day so that the camera works in colour. Last year the stream was in black and white by infra red due to the camera getting insufficiant light.
I hope the increased light doesn't deter the blue tits, but I still have the original roof it appears this is the case.

The box had it's first visit this morning so I thought I'd start this thread and include a link to a clip of the first blue tit having a look around.
The plastic roof worked as you can see the bird in colour.
I have also moved the camera from the back to the side. This has got rid of the blind spot below the camera.

I also intend to add a small tut as to how I've set everything up in case anyone wants to do their own stream.

The stream has the same address as last year and can be seen here.

Blue Tit Nest Box - Live Webcam with Free Chat

At the time of starting this thread the stream is offline as there is no activity in the birdbox, but I will start the stream when nesting begins and leave it live for you all to follow the progress.

Happy viewing and I hope to see some of you in the streams chatroom again.

Curly

Just made a bird box with my son today, and we were going to put it up tomorrow. Do you know what direction the box is pointing.

When you set it up last year did you start with the camera installed or did you add it later. I would like to have a camera in it but it will take some time this year or will we wait to next year for the camera?

Just made a bird box with my son today, and we were going to put it up tomorrow. Do you know what direction the box is pointing.

When you set it up last year did you start with the camera installed or did you add it later. I would like to have a camera in it but it will take some time this year or will we wait to next year for the camera?

Point the box towards the east as it stops wind and rain blowing inside.

The box has been up for a few years and had birds in it from the moment it went up. I only added the camera last year. They started nesting in early March last year and I put the camera in just as they'd started showing an interest in the box.
I got my camera from ebay so you might have time yet to add one ;)

Curly

Good post Curly.. nice job.. got me thinking about mine.. i made my box last year but had no activity whatsoever.. i have cats and think its too low.. im tempted to move it to the eaves this weekend..

@ steve the hole should face north to south-east

I was going to put it so he could see it from his window, the hole would either point due North or due East, would one be better that the other?

Wont the plastic roof hold the heat in more curly and if the sun shines on it wont it get to hot in there for the chicks especially if its clear plastic and the sun has a direct line of sight to it?.

Have a look at this

BBC - Science & Nature UK Wildlife - Bird box

Id go east mines facing south as the easterly wind batters my garden which is travelling up from from below ground level.. (30ft drop behind my garden) acts like a cliff edge..

Also

If you find unhatched eggs in the box you can only legally remove them between October and January and they must then be destroyed (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981).

Nice work curly, looking forward to it again this year, it was fantatsic last year watching them then all of a sudden they were gone.

Top marks m8.

Wont the plastic roof hold the heat in more curly and if the sun shines on it wont it get to hot in there for the chicks especially if its clear plastic and the sun has a direct line of sight to it?.

The plastic roof was cut from a prismatic sheet, the sort of thing you get under flourescent light fittings.
I didn't want magpies etc being able to see through it so it's quite obscure.
It's thinner than the previous roof which was plywood.
It will never get direct sunlight apart from dawn which is never hot in Bolton lol
The box is on my kitchen extention wall and faces east. It is shaded from the sun by the house for the rest of the day.
Last summer when we had a couple of hot days, the chicks were quite big and appeared to be panting to keep cool, so the thinner roof may help.

I've not seen them go back in yet, so the stream is down for now.
Nice to see a few of you the the stream chat room last night.
Don't forget to change your guest name to your DW name ;-)

Thanks for the interest once again guys

Curly

the kids loved this last year, so theyll enjoy it again

itll be nice to see curlys tits in full colour

The plastic roof was cut from a prismatic sheet, the sort of thing you get under flourescent light fittings.
I didn't want magpies etc being able to see through it so it's quite obscure.
It's thinner than the previous roof which was plywood.
It will never get direct sunlight apart from dawn which is never hot in Bolton lol
The box is on my kitchen extention wall and faces east. It is shaded from the sun by the house for the rest of the day.
Last summer when we had a couple of hot days, the chicks were quite big and appeared to be panting to keep cool, so the thinner roof may help.

Curly

Thinner roof = More light = More Heat..

Sorry didnt want to pish on your chips but you will proberly find the chicks will die or even worse they wont bother nesting in there.

Me personaly would of got 2 donor solar panals off them cheap garden lights.. and linked both the batteries and panals together keeping the same amount of bulbs.. stuck it on the roof and got the light from that...

or you could make a small turbine from a small 9v motor but this wouldnt get enough power and would scare the birds off..

Aw FFS not again!! Didn't we get enough of this last year :banana: :banana:
Only joking mate was absolutely fascinating watching them last year, see you in the chat room.
Cheers mate,
HH.

Oh, not often you hear sunny & Bolton in the same sentence :proud:

Nice one curly. Looking forward to watching it again. Will have to check out your tutorial though. One thing I do not see much off over here is birds. I think I need to live further away from where I currently am.

Is it to late now to put up a box as it wont give them chance to get use to it. Have loads of feeders and a bird table so we have loads of birds all the time but would i be better to place it late in the year so they can get use to a box being up?

Also anyone know if the bird box and camera that aldi are selling for £40 is any good?

Thanks

Is it to late now to put up a box as it wont give them chance to get use to it. Have loads of feeders and a bird table so we have loads of birds all the time but would i be better to place it late in the year so they can get use to a box being up?

Also anyone know if the bird box and camera that aldi are selling for £40 is any good?

Thanks

You're not too late to put one up m8
Mine haven't started nesting yet, just checking out the box.
They started nesting in March/April last year.

I'm not sure about the one Aldi are doing. I made mine myself. Might be worth a try though.

Curly

Thanks

Is it this 1:

Product_detail_Wk0709S9.jpg

Camera Nest Box Kit
£39. 00 each *

Capture incredible footage of garden birds nesting with this ‘camera-in-a-nest-box’ system. The lens is adjustable to focus on either the bird hole entrance, or entire nest box floor.

* Assembled in minutes and easily connected to the TV so you can view live footage straight away
* Adjustable design: open or closed nest box options
* Camera has 6 × invisible LEDs for night watching
* Camera microphone to hear great chirping sounds
* Weatherproof 30m cable (S-video/power combined)
* SCART connector
* Colour in the day, black and white images at night
* Camera already installed and ready to use

Seems OK to me mate, may get them nesting or at least popping in and out to check it out

I think that's the one they had in Aldi last week.
I notice it has plastic sides to let light in.
My camera has phono connectors which made it easy to connect to the pc for streaming. The scart would be fine for viewing on the tv though.

Curly

Curly, if your streaming last year has anything to go by, this'll be top notch stuff mate. Well done and thanks ;)

Back