BIOS Updates

cracker

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is just for own Interest

How do you update a bios? and more importantly when and why do you do this?

Method depends on make and model.

Newer Bios's may support new CPU's, be general fixes or just an update.

If not needed or unsure DO NOT DO IT, you could render your Motherboard useless.

Method depends on make and model.

Newer Bios's may support new CPU's, be general fixes or just an update.

If not needed or unsure DO NOT DO IT, you could render your Motherboard useless.

agreed do not do it unless instructed to do by your computer maker if it aint broke do not fix it

Yeah good advice and sound judgement to leave alone as they can go very wrong. If all is working well then there generally is no need.

This is just for own Interest

How do you update a bios? and more importantly when and why do you do this?

The instructions will be on the m/board web site with the appropriate utility needed to perform the upgrade.
Whilst i tend to agree with previous posters about not updating unless necessary what i would add it is worth looking to see what bios version you have and then looking on the manufactures web site to see what if any updates there are.

It may just be there is an update that fixes a problem you have.

Personally, I have never worried about flashing BIOS. It's covered by the warranties of the mobo manufacturers usually anyway and they even encourage it. If you are going to flash it, avoid using any windows based flashing programs, prefering to use dos or bios based flashing tools. Check the menu in your BIOS to see if there is an option for flashing. If not then get the boot disk based BIOS flash from the mobo manufacturer.

Back