Bike driving me nuts !!

FUBAR69

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Hartford VR125 motorbike I have been doing up on an evening, but every time I start it it instantly starts to rev it bollo*ks off !!

I have taken carb apart and checked float chamber, float chamber control rod, main jets, slow jets, needle valve and slide and even the idle and oil control screws......nothing seems faulty.

There seems to be no air leaks and the throttle cable has been lubed up and is nice and free

But it just roars its gonads off :arrrr:

I aint usually that bad at mechanics but this kinda has me stumped :err:

Any advice ?....apart from torching it !! lol

I have a 2003 Hartford VR125 motorbike I have been doing up on an evening, but every time I start it it instantly starts to rev it bollo*ks off !!

I have taken carb apart and checked float chamber, float chamber control rod, main jets, slow jets, needle valve and slide and even the idle and oil control screws......nothing seems faulty.

There seems to be no air leaks and the throttle cable has been lubed up and is nice and free

But it just roars its gonads off :arrrr:

I aint usually that bad at mechanics but this kinda has me stumped :err:

Any advice ?....apart from torching it !! lol
remove the throttle cable and then try if it dosent rev the the cable is sticking
if it does the problem is with the carb
then i would look at the tick over screw

Have you reset everything ? Wound idle screw back as Dave says, put mixture screw all the way in then two and a half turns out also disconnect cable also as Dave says. Spray wd40 around seals and if it revs even harder then you do have a leak.

check to make sure you have the fitted the float the correct way round, i did the once on mt rd400 float would go in but not sitt all the way down to bottom.

I once had this problem on an old yam rd when i put the slide in the wrong way round, and the cut out on the slide raised it highter.

Thanks again for the advise guys, I have tried everything I can think of and yes I tried the old WD40 trick but no rising revs....

This is only a 125 and the carb is really quite basic but it is doin my head in, I could allways drag it to a bike shop but hate being beaten !! lol

Really really puzzled...............

How far have you had the bike apart ? Have you stripped the carbs ? Altered the timing ? There's a lot to look at even a sticky choke of a screw too tight on a cam for idle or fast tick over.

More info, lol. Don't give up on it :)

if its a two stoke then if the crank seals gone it sucks air in and thats wot revs them up

SORTED !!!

I talked to the previous owner just to find out that he replaced the head after the bearings and rings were done, so basically I removed everything, rocker head, rockers, conrods, and the head, cleaned the 2 faces and replaced head and torqued to an appropriate torque, I then removed the carb + the intake + airfilter box, striped and resealed the heap !

Replaced the lot and barked it only to hear sweet sweet music !!! Excited

Cant actually pinpoint what the problem was or it could have been a combination but its fixed !!!!

Thanks for all the replys guys :Clap:

Back