Best's condition 'deteriorates'

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Best's condition 'deteriorates'

Football legend George Best's condition has "deteriorated dramatically", his former wife Alex said.

The ex-Manchester United and Northern Ireland star has spent three weeks in intensive care at London's Cromwell Hospital, with an infection.

His surgeon Roger Williams confirmed his condition had deteriorated but was not life threatening at the moment. He said the next few days were crucial.

Best, 59, had a liver transplant in 2002 following drinking problems.
He was admitted to the Cromwell Hospital with flu-like symptoms and developed a kidney infection.

GEORGE BEST'S HEALTH
March 2000: Severe liver damage diagnosed
February 2001: Treated for pneumonia
April 2001: Anti-alcohol pellets implanted into his stomach
July 2002: Undergoes liver transplant
November 2004: Routine operation to check on liver transplant
October 2005: Treated for kidney infection in intensive care

His ex-wife Alex Best said: "I have been told that George's condition has deteriorated dramatically during today.

"I am just praying that, once again, he somehow manages to pull through against all the odds. My thoughts and prayers are with him."

Earlier this week, Best's agent Phil Hughes said the former player was "doing very well" and his condition had improved.

But on Wednesday it appeared his condition had changed. It was understood he was suffering from internal bleeding and was on life support.

'Fighting for life'

Professor Williams, who is in charge of the former footballer's care, told the Sun newspaper that Best was "certainly severely ill and is fighting for his life."

The professor also told the newspaper he had not traced the cause of the bleeding.

"We are not giving up. There's still a chance we can get him through this," he added.

When Best was admitted to the hospital, Professor Williams said that prescribed drugs needed after his transplant, rather than alcohol abuse, were the cause of his illness.

He said the ex-footballer had become more susceptible to infections after a course of medication to suppress the immune system and prevent his body rejecting the new liver.

And Mr Hughes said his client had been "off the drink" before being admitted to the hospital.

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2005/10/26 22:18:02 GMT
© BBC MMV

Can`t help thinking there were more worthy causes for the liver he received, considering his constant abuse of it, I realise he has an addiction but he ent really trying.

parker13 said:
Can`t help thinking there were more worthy causes for the liver he received, considering his constant abuse of it, I realise he has an addiction but he ent really trying.

When Best was admitted to the hospital, Professor Williams said that prescribed drugs needed after his transplant, rather than alcohol abuse, were the cause of his illness.

hamba said:

And why did he have a liver Transplant ? and could you please type a little louder in future, I never quite got your last message.

parker13 said:

carnt agree with ya more m8...............

i also agree with parker

there are people that have not abused their systems and are in need of a transplant but because of his profile he gets a transplant and then abuses the transplanted liver aswell !

he was a great footballer and a legend in that aspect and will be missed for that when his time is up.

parker13 said:
And why did he have a liver Transplant ? and could you please type a little louder in future, I never quite got your last message.

It wasn't my intention to shout, just to draw attention to that part of the article.

I know the guy abused himself but why?

It's easy to judge but we don't know the full circumstances of his life and weaknesses.

I'm afraid I am of the school:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

just been watching this on the news i agree with the rest he does not deserve it but i think everyone has the right to treatment its just a proper shame that a legend like him ends up like that...

Mickie D said:
i also agree with parker
there are people that have not abused their systems and are in need of a transplant but because of his profile he gets a transplant and then abuses the transplanted liver aswell !
he was a great footballer and a legend in that aspect and will be missed for that when his time is up.

That`s my feelings, didn`t mean to offend anyone, unfortunately the reasons go further, things like the blood transfusions he has received and the fact that blood is in short supply, yet, as I write this, I would hope for every chance available if I fell Ill.

hamba said:
It wasn't my intention to shout, just to draw attention to that part of the article.
I know the guy abused himself but why?
It's easy to judge but we don't know the full circumstances of his life and weaknesses.
I'm afraid I am of the school:
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Sorry mate, agree with you really, people feck up like he has all the time and attention isn`t drawn towards them, he`s very unfortunate, and one can only imagine about life behind closed doors.

Back