Best modem for newb?

Superflous

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

I've wandered into this forum tonight and i'm seriously considering giving this a shot.

I'm looking for some recommendations on the best (value, im skint) modem to buy meself if i'm looking to reprogram with local macs.

Also I have never had broadband, I've seen posts saying that you don't need to have had. Can anyone confirm this for me?

cheers :Cheers:

well have you got something to plug your modem into???

i.e and ftype socket to screw the coax in coming out of your wall?

Cheap???? That's a little bit complicated now.
I would say an ambit 200 (silver ntl thing), but they are dropping like flies.
If you go for a motorola surfboard, then it aint gonna be cheap, but will probably last.
Anyway if you get the broadbnd for nought then it's all cheap.
I think i pay 300 quid a year for my brd bnd.

SB5100i Pure nt Hell

The SB5100(I) is pretty easy to do with a little guidance.
So far I have managed to get three up and running.
I now use the files from the first working one to flash to others and they have worked first time.
They can be bought online for as little as $50 from the States.
Make sure you stipulate the i model (International)otherwise you will have to buy a power pack as the powerpack with the 5100 is for 120 volts only! and will burn out.

If and when you do get one give me a shout shouldn't be a problem getting it up and running.

aRE YOU nTL OR EX c+w? btw if you have Cable tv all you should need is a splitter length of cable and a few F connectors to get BB internet.

Last edited:
Cheers for the response fellas.

I have n*l cable tv (but i dont really if you know what I mean) and I have bt broadband in at the minute.

I meant to say i've never had n*l broadband but was wondering would that be a problem (considering I don't have any account with N*L at all)

I too pay for the BT 2mb connection (30 quid per month) and it i'm thinking this would save me money.

I've grown quite accustomed to my wireless ADSL modem/router (with laptop, pc and Xbox) - are there any good wireless ones available?

I'm thinking I could sell my BT wireless hub on ebay to generate cash to fund a cable one.

Back