Best modem for newb?

cric2k

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

I've wandered into this forum tonight and i'm seriously considering giving this a shot.

I'm looking for some recommendations on the best (value, im skint) modem to buy meself if i'm looking to reprogram with local macs.

Also I have never had broadband, I've seen posts saying that you don't need to have had. Can anyone confirm this for me?

cheers :Cheers:

name750

Inactive User
Reaction score
well have you got something to plug your modem into???

i.e and ftype socket to screw the coax in coming out of your wall?

Cheap???? That's a little bit complicated now.
I would say an ambit 200 (silver ntl thing), but they are dropping like flies.
If you go for a motorola surfboard, then it aint gonna be cheap, but will probably last.
Anyway if you get the broadbnd for nought then it's all cheap.
I think i pay 300 quid a year for my brd bnd.

pburns

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
SB5100i Pure nt Hell

The SB5100(I) is pretty easy to do with a little guidance.
So far I have managed to get three up and running.
I now use the files from the first working one to flash to others and they have worked first time.
They can be bought online for as little as $50 from the States.
Make sure you stipulate the i model (International)otherwise you will have to buy a power pack as the powerpack with the 5100 is for 120 volts only! and will burn out.

If and when you do get one give me a shout shouldn't be a problem getting it up and running.

aRE YOU nTL OR EX c+w? btw if you have Cable tv all you should need is a splitter length of cable and a few F connectors to get BB internet.

Last edited:

cric2k

Member ++
Reaction score
Cheers for the response fellas.

I have n*l cable tv (but i dont really if you know what I mean) and I have bt broadband in at the minute.

I meant to say i've never had n*l broadband but was wondering would that be a problem (considering I don't have any account with N*L at all)

I too pay for the BT 2mb connection (30 quid per month) and it i'm thinking this would save me money.

I've grown quite accustomed to my wireless ADSL modem/router (with laptop, pc and Xbox) - are there any good wireless ones available?

I'm thinking I could sell my BT wireless hub on ebay to generate cash to fund a cable one.

TEST