Best media for BenQ & GTA IV?

MONKey

Inactive User
Reaction score
As title says, what is the best media to use?

I am currently using Verbatims, but there is SERIOUS Pop-Up in GTA IV, sometimes things can take around 10secs to show if at all!

After reading around I have heard that the BenQ FW is based on the Samsung FW and has media detection issues the same as when the Hitachi FW first came out.

So what would be the best media to use for the BenQ at present?

Also worth noting the drive is brand new. I have however tried a pot tweak anyway with no difference at all so I reset the pot back to 4500 (I dropped the resistance to 3200)

:)

your not gonna get any better then Verbatims.....

i use ridics in my sammy and have no problems

:Cheers:

Verbatim are the best.

the problem is with the BenQ drive....Ive swapped mine for a Hitachi 79 to play GTA and will swpa back after.

Verbatim are the best.

the problem is with the BenQ drive....Ive swapped mine for a Hitachi 79 to play GTA and will swpa back after.

Do you think a future FW release will fix this issue then (Better Media Detection)?

Other things I should of noted are that I am burning with CloneCD at 2.4X and I have a Pioneer 110/111 (Can't remember which one would have to look)

Its not the firmware / media detection.

Its a problem with BenQ drives and the backup of GTA - no other game sufferes the rendering issues.

Well then Rockstar need to sort the supplys out as I can't find an origional anywhere in Bolton to buy so I am stuck with the backup version only :(

Maybe there will be a fix of somesorts as it's strange to only do it on BenQ?

Ineed it is, only a slight issue withthe original on a BenQ.

I just happened to have a Hitachi 79 with passkey installed sitting here so though WTH, chuck it in!

Been doing more reading on this lol

Seems the NTSC dumped version run's fine on BenQ drives, so maybe the Icon dump is the problem?

Has anyone got an origional of this so they can dump it at a slow speed and see if that backup works fine on a BenQ drive?

I'm trying to souce an origional myslef today but no luck so far :(

Ineed it is, only a slight issue withthe original on a BenQ.

I just happened to have a Hitachi 79 with passkey installed sitting here so though WTH, chuck it in!

Right, managed to hunt someone down and kill them for there origional copy of GTA IV :proud:

Just been playing for about 10 mins and the pop up is very mimimal if any.

Gonna try and do a new dump of this now and re-burn see if it any better ;)

Anyway, I would confirm that I have two Benq drives, one in an elite and the other in an origianl Xbox 360. I have used Aone and Verbs in both with the probs.

Havent played it yet as been to busy with other things and when I do get the time for the console GTA is not very high on the list of cats to skin lol....although I do have a benq drive in my elite so I might give it an hour just for testing purposes?? where in the game are the freeze problems occuring chaps?

Verbatim... did someone mention Verbs? .... Use verbs mate :)

It's doing it all over the game m8 :(

And I am using Verbs, always do ;) Thought I'd mentioned that.

Right, managed to hunt someone down and kill them for there origional copy of GTA IV :proud:

Just been playing for about 10 mins and the pop up is very mimimal if any.

Gonna try and do a new dump of this now and re-burn see if it any better

Well it's not dumping, keep getting the Data error (cyclic redundancy check), I've edited the layout file every way going but still getting errors on the second layer :(

Tried editing from:

C19408
D1072
C109344

To:

D19408
D1072
D109344

&:

C19408
D1072
D109344

&:

C19408
D1072
C91135
D18209

None work to dump it so i'm afraid I can't verify if it is the Icon dump that is iffy :(

Sorry peeps, but I tried. I can at least play it on origional now with no crappy blurred graphics, magical disapeering roads, or building appearing out of no-where lol

I am using a modded elite with a Benq drive, thanks to mx. Took his advice to only use verbs and haven't noticed any problem at all with my GTA 4 backup. Can't remember whether I got my copy from RS or newsgroups.

Admittedly I am not too far into the game yet, I go to a park to save Roman by kicking the crap out of a couple of loan sharks, chase their boss only to have the crap kicked out of me, lol.

Chookey

Are you using the NTSC version Chookey? Or which release was it, I'm guessing it wasn't by Icon?

Also what speed is your 360 drive running at, and how did you burn the image?

Been using Aones on my hitachi with no problem, happy to burn you a copy to test if you like?

Thanks for the offer badabinguk ;)

But it's only the BenQ drives using the Icon dump that are having problems. None of the other drives seem to be affected.

Both my own and Chookeys BenQ drives are running at x12 which is stock speed :)

Chookey already said he has no problems with his copy of GTA IV so I will give it a test on mine for an hour later mate and let you know if I have any probs with mine :)

You wouldn't need to test it for an hour m8. If your having issues you'll notice it almost immediately as the building pop up and the one's showing are all blurry.

It's a well know issue with the BenQ drive and the Icon dump ;)

Back