best device for all main uk catchup channels???

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
alright guys, having a chat with my dad today and he was saying he wanted some kind of device to connect to his plasma tv that has all the uk catchup players on it, ie, bbc, itv, 4od and 5 on demand, must be reasonably cheap, under £100, but im struggling to find any type of box out there that supports all these that also has a nice easy to use interface with a remote.

he isnt tech savvy in the slightest so it needs to be just plug and play and away he goes, now iv looked into android boxes are these the only viable option for this or can anyone recommend anything more suitable and upto the job, it also has to have ethernet connection as where it is going to be placed there is no wifi reception.

im open to any suggestions on this, thanks!

Hi mate loads of set top boxes on fleabay that do just what you want..some real cheap ones..
This one 390937383535 for example is only £27.
Just search fleabay set top box.

Edit also nowtv box for a tenner gives you all the catchup without subscription..
You can get them with a month of movies free..

Last edited:
cheers guys i'll have a look into both them suggestions, something like the roku would be perfect its just a case of weather they have all the on demand channels he needs, will have to have a google see if i can find a list of the services they provide, if anyone has a roku box or anything thats capable of playing bbc iplayer, itv player, 4od and 5 on demand please wade in and let me know, thanks.

now tv box is cheapest option and I believe a re-branded roku box, I think they are doing it with 3 month premium channel subscription at the moment. Check your local supermarket.

Don't forget that you will need a decent internet connection for this

now tv box is cheapest option and I believe a re-branded roku box, I think they are doing it with 3 month premium channel subscription at the moment. Check your local supermarket.

Don't forget that you will need a decent internet connection for this
no ethernet though mate, wifi only which is no good as he doesnt get a signal in the area its going.

roku is out the window too as only the roku 3 has ethernet, but it doesnt support itv player, think im fighting a losing battle here, lol!

now tv box is wifi mate
Yeah nowtv is wifi mate, but im looking for a solution with ethernet so now tv box is out the windows because it doesnt have ethernet.

no ethernet though mate, wifi only which is no good as he doesnt get a signal in the area its going.

If you have an ethernet port where the box is going to go then put in an old router in WAP mode. Shouldn't cost more than £20 if you don't have lying around or can't get one off freecycle.

wifi extenders or homeplugs and a now box or roku box and both together will easily come in under your £100 budget.

Not 100% sure on this but dont Samsung have exclusive rights for Smart APP / ITV Player and thats why you dont see it on many other devices apart from a Sky HD box / NowTV box

Cheers guys, appreciate the replies, been looking at the humax boxes they look quite good but read some reviews and people saying they have lost one of the players so sort of put me off.

Now digi247 has me thinking, what does a sky hd box come with regarding players, as i have few boxes lying round, how do they activate the catchup through a sky box, does it get linked to your account via the card or can anyone use the on demand services aslong as they have a sky box connected to the internet.

Not 100% sure on this but dont Samsung have exclusive rights for Smart APP / ITV Player and thats why you dont see it on many other devices apart from a Sky HD box / NowTV box

My cs968 android box will play the on demand channels including ITVplayer, but you will have to get a wireless keyboard/mouse to use the demand channels easily. These boxes are about £50 and another £10 for keyboard/mouse.

Last edited:
Back