Bespoke/Custom light project

callmegoose

Inactive User
Reaction score
As posted in my introduction thread im working on 3 projects, a coffee table, a light stand, and a clock all from reclaimed scrap engine parts... this thread is for the light stand and ill make the others once more work progresses on them...I hope this contributes towards a use full post

So far its went from this drawing in paint when I first had the idea:

pu7y8a4e.jpg

to this little mockup in Google sketch

y4y7a5eh.jpg

to cleaning and polishing the bearing shells

abety7ep.jpg

then it was off to the welders

uda7ytuh.jpg

now to smooth out the welds with some Devon magic bond. Lots of sanding involved.

ajy9adyp.jpg

yzumavus.jpg

8e3uvynu.jpg

I sourced the small lights from b&q (originally part off a ceiling light) and chopped them off. The centre stainless tube will conceal the wires

2yza9ape.jpg

that's as far as I've got the moment. currently waiting on someone getting back to me about tig welding the small lights on. After that painting and wiring :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are from a Maine diesel engine. MAK 6 cylinder, 2100bhp

@callmegoose i love that mate a really nice lighting idea if i had the parts i would of put say blue leds in all the holes or another thing what i would of done was straighten them out and put them on a edge of a desk then put lighting in.But all round i love it i love the design :goodpost:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did toy with the idea of led lights but concealing the wiring was proving to be an issue which is why I went for a central tube :)

Great project mate, love those huge bearing shells! Really looking forward to seeing the finished product. :goodluck:

it is going to be painted silver on one side and VW diamond black pearlascent on the other. Wouldnt chrome plating cost a fortune?

it is going to be painted silver on one side and VW diamond black pearlascent on the other. Wouldnt chrome plating cost a fortune?

That sounds good, yeah I think chrome plating may be costly now as I don't think that many places do it anymore.
Here are a couple of platers that would give you a quote :: All Other Items | easyelectroplating.co.uk :: Affordable Chrome Plating Services from Chroming & Rechroming experts | Chrome Fix
Or there are Chrome effect spray kits that are supposed to be quite good :: Chrome Illusion ® - Advanced Spray on Chrome Technology :: Chrome Effect: Home

If not for this project , then perhaps these can give you other options in the future. Keep us updated as this looks great.

I will do. I'm going off sorer tomorrow for a month so work will effectively be on hold until i'm home and can get the small lights welded on. The only thing i'm going to do with it offshore is smooth the edges with a file and some sandpaper. will post pics! :)

I wonder if light guides would be of use for a similar project. Then you could use LEDs at one central location and make the guides into part of the sculpture.

excuse my ignorance...But what are light guides?

right heres a bit of an update...

most of this trip offshore in my spare time has been spent sanding down and filling different parts of the light. I smoothed all the outer edges so no harsh right angles. The middle "oil drains" I also smoothed. Basically the oil drains went all the way to the end of each shell, but I filled in the last bit and gave it a bit of a curve.

I secured the central pipe that will hold the small lights (which will get welded on in the next few weeks), and also conceal the wires. There was a small gap (pipe 15mm) and hole 16mm, so I filled the gap in flush with the rest of the shell.

still lots of sanding to go but i can see its starting to take shape. One the lights are on, ill have a little more sanding to do, followed by an all over 80 grit sand and a thorough cleaning before wiring the unit up, then its onto painting.

10369182_10152092061621179_5252098156965298791_n.jpg

10369611_10152057350261179_5106937413940647219_n.jpg

10371362_10152092049936179_1696620652935515025_n.jpg

1795418_10152092202521179_2909619587937524093_o.jpg

10363907_10152092203431179_7493607516873376431_n.jpg

10339435_10152093242481179_3109409401329288002_o.jpg

Before and After shot of the section covering the central tube

excuse my ignorance...But what are light guides?

I missed this reply somehow.

Light guides are materials that have internal reflection properties and can be used to channel light. There are types that emit light from their sides as well as the far end or ones that are designed to efficiently get light from one end to the other or split one light source into several.

Usually acrylic but I have seen ones made from multiple glass fibres (more expensive). Rigid injection moulded acrylic ones are common in electronic products to get light from PCB mounted LEDs to front panels.

Companies like Dolan-Jenner manke them for microscopy applications, I have some of these.

Here's a splitter type with rigid positionable tubes:

mRvW2QX5knaDPfEd64gIKEA.jpg

Side illuminating:

120504KB_PSL_08.jpg

Here's some examples of light guide:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

You can put several of those into a ferrule with an epoxy and then polish it, as I saw when I worked for an electronics company that made illumination products for medical purposes as a sideline.

Will look better when painted:)

Now in the process of smoothing the light holders to the main light structure...

10511141_10152168764636179_4697238094133649670_n.jpg

ive still to wire in the switch. ill leave that too last as i want to use 30W LED GU10 bulbs as they produce less heat, and go for the switch you suggested. Ill buy it when i have more money :)

Back