Bereavment Payment

flickster

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anoon all, my wee workm8's dad died suddenly last week, and someone had said that his mum, (separated, but not divorced) is entitled to the above, they had been separated 2+yrs. He had a girlfriend, who is taking to do with funeral arrangements (next of kin) but the wife never met, or had gone out with anyone else,, so , question is,,can the wife claim the above,,read online,,but mixed info on there.. cheers guys for any info.

it's hard to know, it looks like his girlfriend may be able to claim it if they were living together, they will hardly pay it out twice.

i guess it might depend on if he was paying any form of maintenance etc, best thing is for her to ring her local office and ask them, they must have criteria for dealing with it, it's probably a common enough scenario

edit: not quite sure how his girlfriend is his next of kin, unless as i said they were living together and she is counted as his civil partner, otherwise the son would probably be next of kin?

Last edited:
Anoon all, my wee workm8's dad died suddenly last week, and someone had said that his mum, (separated, but not divorced) is entitled to the above, they had been separated 2+yrs. He had a girlfriend, who is taking to do with funeral arrangements (next of kin) but the wife never met, or had gone out with anyone else,, so , question is,,can the wife claim the above,,read online,,but mixed info on there.. cheers guys for any info.

no offence meant with this but why would or should his wife get or be able to claim if they were seperated for over 2 yrs and his GF is sorting funeral etc

from the dwp
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
So long as she meets the criteria she should be paid.

It's not her problem if the girlfriend is burying the husband if he didn't want his wife to get anything then he should have divorced her.

If he wanted a divorce he can get 1 after a year but hasn't bothered.

I take it that because she hasn't been out with anyone that he left her for the girlfriend so why should she worry if the girlfriend is out of pocket.

I believe a civil partnership is a same sex marriage not 2 people living together.

It's not her problem if the girlfriend is burying the husband if he didn't want his wife to get anything then he should have divorced her.

If he wanted a divorce he can get 1 after a year but hasn't bothered.

I believe a civil partnership is a same sex marriage not 2 people living together.
a yr only if both ppl agree...took me 5yrs to get mine ..
and i think his girl is now classed a common law wife ..
y would his ex wife claim .if the girlfriend is sorting the funeral out.
i thought the payment was towards the cost of the funeral ?

thanks for replys guys,, but she is not his EX wife, as still legally married, no matter how long they been separated (what ive been reading). Dont know why his new partner is next of kin,,but she is dealing with funeral ect.Also,,bereavement payment is totally different to help with payin for funeral,, thanks guys,,guess she (wife) can phone and get it sorted.. btw,,she didnt know anything about this,,someone just said to her son she could claim..

a yr only if both ppl agree...took me 5yrs to get mine ..
and i think his girl is now classed a common law wife ..
common law wife only counts if the dole want to payout less
Family law and cohabitation rights of couples living together
Bastows Divorce Solicitors : COHABITATION : Common Law Wife, Common Law Husband, cohabiting couples, CIVIL PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT, LAW IN UK, Cohabitee, COHABITATION AGREEMENT, LIVING TOGETHER AGREEMENT, COHABITATION CONTRACTS, deed, PARENTAL RESPONSI
I lived for 25 years with my 1st wife as what we believed were common law married until we found it is all nonsense, then we got married (it lasted 4 months). On my 2nd marriage now and married as soon as my decree nisi came and the finances were sorted. Would have been quicker but you have to be married 1 year before you can even apply for a divorce and had to sort out the money before I remarried.
I did tell my new wife while we were waiting that if I died before the decree nisi then my ex got everything.
I couldn't get married until everything was sorted as then my new wifes money (£65k) would have been shared with my ex-wife so we waited until the finances were fully sorted 1st.
y would his ex wife claim .if the girlfriend is sorting the funeral out.
Because she is entitled to maybe
i thought the payment was towards the cost of the funeral ?
It doesn't state that, it maybe the intention but unless it states it she can do as she wishes.

seeing as she is still legaly married and she wants to claim
she is then still legaly his next of kin

i would make her pay for the funeral

i am sure the wife can claim as they are not divorced, the payment is to help toward funeral costs so the giro will be made out to the funeral director

seeing as she is still legaly married and she wants to claim
she is then still legaly his next of kin

i would make her pay for the funeral

Quite agree with you david, if she want the money for nothing which is what it seems like after 2 yr+ apart, then she should pay for the funeral costs.

Quite agree with you david, if she want the money for nothing which is what it seems like after 2 yr+ apart, then she should pay for the funeral costs.

hi m8, in my post, i did say she knew nothing about it, prob wont even claim it,,but like a said, some one had said to the son, Now from what i read, it is totally diff from help with funeral cost's, every widow m/f has the right to claim,(sounding like she not caring about anything here except the money,thats not true) again how much depends on his contributions to the tax man. Anyways, if she has a right to claim,,why not?? He the one that left her, with 3 kids, seeing someone else behind her back...thanks again for all ur comments..Lets not get it outta hand here, she no money grabber, and having been married to him for 18yrs, sure she hurting along with the kids as much as the g/f. Cheers

Last edited:
if they think they are entitled to it then subtract it from the state funeral charges
but i doubt they would go as far as paying the funeral charges for an ex partner

just the normal way of bereavement nowadays - instead of getting emotional just try and feck your family out of money instead

Back