"Being in a bus lane" for 4 seconds... £60 fine!

Yes m8 undertaking is always an accident waiting to happen. The whole idea is bad i suppose. My point is that when you are comming out of the bus lane ie aproaching a roundabout and you want the inside lane. Its the fookers that cut in early to the bus lane just as you are legit changing lane that im on about. When you look the road is clear but then mr smart arse cuts in and well my point is made.

I get your point.
There's a bus lane near me, it means driving down the middle of the road but parking is allowed on the other side of the road to the bus lane. Trouble is there's not enough room for me and the lorries and buses coming towards me. It's absolutely stupid. Also the bus lane is empty most of the time.

here ya go ppl - here's the CCTV photos of my crime (attached)...

i'll probably appeal it anyway (coz i REALLY could do with keeping that £60 in MY pocket!) but let me know what you guys all think after you've seen the photos.

Last edited:
bottom right picture doesnt shoq anything apart from the top of your car.. what does that prove??

Top left just shows the lhs of your car drifting into the bus lane... as does top right..

Bottom left is the one that looks incriminating..

if bottom left wasnt there i would of gone for a pot hole sinario.. but with that picture it looks like your avoiding a cliff edge....

Bugger it, you where avoiding a left turning vehical which was in your path.. thus this driver was the one causing an obstruction.

What grounds are you thinking for an appeal?

Certainly from the photo's that they have sent you, it may prove difficult to defend as far as reasoning goes. But I say this because one of the main ways that people defend such actions is to say (as has been previously suggested) that you had to swerve into the lane to avoid a collision - these appeals are not very successful. Unfortunately, the first picture seems to give a fairly wide shot of the scene, which could potentially be used to dismiss any such appeal.

There may, however, be some kind of technicality that you can get off with!!

What you need to do if you are considering any kind of appeal is to arm yourself with all the facts. You need to go and write down every single detail of this bus lane from start to finish (or at least from start to where you were caught).

It is probably worth mapping out the route including all side roads etc. A brief summary of the things that you need to note are:
1-Signs: Map the location of all of the bus lane signs along with the hours of operation etc. There should be an advance sign approx 30metres prior to the lane starting (in a 30mph zone) or 45 metres prior(in a zone of more than 30mph). There should also be regular signs along the way.
Also take a photo of the first sign (and any other signs that are of a different design - EVEN IF THE DIFFERENCE IF VERY MINOR!) and post them up here.
As well as this check and note the bus lane signs on any connecting side roads between the start of the lane and where you were caught.
2-Road Markings: Measure the length of the taper at the beginning of the lane and the distance between the start of the lane and where you were caught.
Check and mark on your map the words BUS LANE(painted on the road) along the route with approx distances so you know how far apart they are. Also check that these are painted on the road after every side road between the start of the lane and where you were caught. It is even worth measuring the height and width of each of the letters here as well!!
3- Contact the relevant local council and ask to see a full copy of the Traffic Order for this bus lane.

You will definitely need all of this information if you are to mount an appeal with any real chance of success. If you gather all of this information and post back we can have a look and try and find an appeal with a realistic chance of success.

Hope this is of some help.
Cheers.

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE JUST MY OPINION AND MUST NOT BE TAKEN AS ANY FORM OF ADVICE OR INSTRUCTION!

Are you a lawyer or sumting? Great stuff!!!

just say you were weaving around as you were pissed as a fart :) - be interesting to see their response

i'll probably appeal it anyway (coz i REALLY could do with keeping that £60 in MY pocket!) but let me know what you guys all think after you've seen the photos.

Strange thing is; No bloody buses, not much traffic either.
There's the trouble with this country. You're causing no hassle to anyone but you still get nicked.

Just remind me please, Why where you in the bus lane on a virtually empty road in the first place ??

I think the pictures will stand up in court as the road is clearly not congested and theres no apparent reason to use the bus lane (other than to undertake the lorry ahead) so i think you will need a good excuse to get away with this 1 m8.:proud:

Just remind me please, Why where you in the bus lane on a virtually empty road in the first place ??

I think the pictures will stand up in court as the road is clearly not congested and theres no apparent reason to use the bus lane (other than to undertake the lorry ahead) so i think you will need a good excuse to get away with this 1 m8.:proud:

I think you have hit thenail on the head m8. Looks like the classic undertaking manouver. Deserves all he got imv

Have to agree with pacman362 and IANB I'm afraid, it does just look as if you are undertaking the lorry. Not saying you were but from those pictures it does look like that was what was happening. Good luck if you do appeal, my wife got pulled by a cop for going into a bus lane to turn left when the lane she was in for going straight ahead was queued back beyond the end of the bus lane. She shouldn't have done it and the cop was quite sarky - are you driving a bus madam? She just said if you are going to fine me then fine me but he let her off. If she had been fined it would have been fair enough I suppose, there don't seem to be allowance for extenuating circumstances these days when theres money involved!

Didnt something fall from the back of that wagon no pun intended, a piece of rubble / rubbish you had to go into the bus lane to avoid it, plausible ?

...If the original poster can find something that is actually wrong with the bus lane (ie-in error of the relevant legislation etc) then this is cause for appeal in itself because the bus lane is "void" so to speak...

unfortunately theres nothing 'wrong' with the bus lane - its all legal and correctly marked & signed :(

unfortunately theres nothing 'wrong' with the bus lane - its all legal and correctly marked & signed :(

So you saw a ghost, which clearly wouldnt show up on a camera, hence we would have more evidence they existed. Instead of passing through the soul less body of the ghost you entered the bus lane out of respect for the ghost and their family. The ghost was of a person who had been knocked down and died on that very road 10 years ago and to knock the ghost down again was entirely unacceptable in your view.

Your gonna get fucked anyway so you may as well make them laugh :p

@ice2004

Now theres an idea! lol

Last edited:
Back