befor i go buy

dbspider

Member ++
Reaction score
i am thinking of going to buy a new xbox 360 from argos today and of course i want to mod it to allow me to play some backups

can any of the experts answer a few questions please

1 what make and model of drive is standard in the up to date xbox's ?

2 will my nforce 570 chipset allow me to flash the drive without buying another sata card

3 what is the best firmware to use on the drive that is answered in number 1

thanks in advance

Have a look on Xbox 360 Drive Database on the net (google it) and look at the dates and compile yourself a list of lot no.s and take them with you. I usually just tell the store that I don't want a Hitachi drive due to the 3RROD and the cheap laser so you need to look at Toshiba or Benq lot no.s

I don't know if your chipset will be ok but think you would be best getting the via sata card for best results.

You must use ixtreme firmware if you are gong on line. The latest version are 1.4 for Toshiba and 1.41 for Benq. Each have mutli-speed versions from 2x to 12x (I usually use 8x - good balance between speed and noise).

Hope this helps.

thanks mate just found the data base thing how do you know what drive is in it befor you take it from the shop is it on a sticker on the box

i didn't really want to buy another sata card

On the sticker is a LOT NO. When the argos brng it out of the warehouse, just check it against your list and if isn't right just tell them that its a Hitachi drive and you want a Toshiba or Benq as these are better.

Hitachi can be modded but this avoid you chancing a 79 Drive which would need a modchip to flash it.

Your chipset might work but if it doesn't at least you have your 360 until you can get your hands on the sata card. they are relatively cheap - i got mine from shiny hardware online (google it).

Regards.

Enticy

there are still some core versions around if you look hard enough i would go for one of these

i am not sure what system this is it just seems a good deal as no other place seems to give the hard drives

hxxp://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5679223/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500012000.Video%2Bgames%3EC%24cip%3D1500012001.Xbox%2B360%3EC%24cip%3D1500012003.Xbox%2B360%2Bconsoles.htm

well i bought my xbox yesterday and guess what it the dreaded hitatchi drive so thanks to highlander going to go back today with it saying there is a fault with the drive reading gta4 but i have also got some more evidance behind me saying that it is an old system and want a up todate model so wish me luck

Good luck mate... hope you get it sorted :)

i wouldnt mention it been a older system because you might get a older one which will have more chance of been able to flash , i would just go with the fault.

:banana::banana::banana:

Been to argos said regarding the said fault but also questioned if the system had been a return due to my bad opening and also a screen print of what was ment to be a new warrent but saying runs out on dec this year

Anyway the poor guy said there could be a few questions here but i am willing to exchange i asked if he can make sure that it was a 1.75 w system instead of the 2.03w after looking through 5 systems that they had in stock here there was one with the new chipset (falcon) also checked the lot number and team again small printout i took with me ok everything looks good

got it home plugged in and guess what not a hitachi but benq wwhhhhhooooo time to get screw drivers out linked up firmware went on without any trouble kids now playing one of the free games and as we speak gta4 is downloading and disks ready to burn fingers crossed

I guess the
15.00 for the passkey
£20.00 for the install and flash
and the £6.50 next day return postage was far to expesive

I guess the
15.00 for the passkey
£20.00 for the install and flash
and the £6.50 next day return postage was far to expesive

well i would pay it would be worth it i wouldnt attempt. better than the £70 they charge here.

I'd be more than happy to pay £20 for the install as thats a more than fair price when considering what is involved and £6.50 for the return postage is also a fair price but I wouldnt be happy paying for a passkey... Maximus can do one as far as I'm concerned :proud: lol

not that it was too exspencive i wanted to give flashing the drive myself but i also thought i have nothing to lose by going to argos and trying it if all else had failed i would be calling on your services

i feel i have acheived something if i can manage myself but also i wanted to get the more uptodate falcon chipset as did not want the box to die

I hope so, he has modded it and the kids are playing it lol

yeh mate it all done and dusted now the only problem i seem to have is actually burning my own downloaded games i have followed the textbook guide and the disks keep giving errors i thought aone disks were ok but they don't seem to be :Cry::Cry::Cry:

its not the xbox mate it is every time i try to burn the recent gta4 nzb it burns till about 90% then both imgburn and cdclone both throw outthe disk saying unable to burn i am trying to download another game at the moment to check that it is not the nzb i have but any suggestions would be greatful

Back