been to lovely cork !

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi folks,

just wanted to share my recent experience which was great..

got cheap flights (well free) from Ryanair to Cork, flew on Monday and got back a day after.. so happens I was wearing my kilt and my partner was not pleased after the lassies wanted to take photies with me.. lol..

anyhow, the irish are really nice people.. although it was much expensive but it was well worth it.. I love the accent.. everyone I met was brand new and I would definately go back..

The Mahon shopping centre was good and boy I was glad to see the 24hr Tesco.. Another good thing was the original OPEL badges on motor which we have as vauxhall.. must say, If the vectras had OPEL badges here, I would buy one..

the good thing also was that I missed all the thunder storm and hail stone whilst I was away which was magic..

cheers Exclusive.. couldnt find the travel site though.. is it under some other tab ?? sorry.. still got a hangover.. lol

I've been to Ireland on holiday twice, Dublin and Wicklow - only went to Wicklow as i had an aunty living there but Dublin was fantastic. :)

I'm going to Galway this summer, gonna hire a car and drive to Roscommon to search for my ancestors, gonna visit local chapels etc to dig out records.

My family came over from Ireland during the potato famine.

I've been to Ireland on holiday twice, Dublin and Wicklow - only went to Wicklow as i had an aunty living there but Dublin was fantastic. :)

I'm going to Galway this summer, gonna hire a car and drive to Roscommon to search for my ancestors, gonna visit local chapels etc to dig out records.

My family came over from Ireland during the potato famine.

If you have the time visit Bantry Bay, a really nice place

Is it near Galway mate?

Depends on fast you drive ;)

It's not far away from Shannon Airport, worth the drive though.

It's where the Irish let the german's operate their U-Boats in WW1 to sink ships supplying Britain.

Apart from the history it really is a nice place lol

Depends on fast you drive ;)

It's not far away from Shannon Airport, worth the drive though.

It's where the Irish let the german's operate their U-Boats in WW1 to sink ships supplying Britain.

Apart from the history it really is a nice place lol

Dont know where you got that mate?we were next on their list.Alot of people from Ireland fought for Britain in WW1

There's no historical evidence to support that. It's one of those myths that circulated at the height of anti-Irish feelings. It's true that U-boats sheltered off the West Coast of Ireland (both North and South) during the battle of the Atlantic, but nothing to show that the Irish government supported (or could have prevented) this.

On the other hand, U-boats were actively sheltered and supplied in the port of Vigo in supposed neutral Spain.

well the main thing is you a nice time match next time you should get a car and go to a few places,you could go to King John's castle here in limerick and stop off at the home of rugby which will be complete soon,Thomand Park that is and then go to bunratty castle there really is loads of stuff to do and see be its great to hear you had such a nice time

There's no historical evidence to support that. It's one of those myths that circulated at the height of anti-Irish feelings. It's true that U-boats sheltered off the West Coast of Ireland (both North and South) during the battle of the Atlantic, but nothing to show that the Irish government supported (or could have prevented) this.

On the other hand, U-boats were actively sheltered and supplied in the port of Vigo in supposed neutral Spain.

It was not meant to be a loaded statement just a point of interest.

Dont know where you got that mate?we were next on their list.Alot of people from Ireland fought for Britain in WW1

You are correct chum there was a hell of a lot of Irishmen who died in the first world war (and second) and trust me I am the first to commend them on their bravery and service, and have personally changed the colours at Ypres in Belguim to remember them.

But thats not to be mixed up with the Irish governments neutrality which is questionable on many fronts

It's a fact of history that prior to the yanks using Bantry Bay the Gerrys did, no different than the Irish Goverment letting Nazi war criminals hide in Dublin etc after the second world war.

My aim is not too slag off the Irish mate, nor am I going to get into the old arguements about the "anti irish" issue as mentioned....Its History

But thats not to be mixed up with the Irish governments neutrality which is questionable on many fronts

I would agree with that. De Valera's idea of neutrality was typical of the devious b*stard.

I think we're straying off the thread here though.

I would agree with that. De Valera's idea of neutrality was typical of the devious b*stard.

I think we're straying off the thread here though.

Perhaps a tad lol but interesting point though......

Great to hear you likes it. Next time take a few days and visit west Cork. Scenery is beautiful and people very friendly. Sterling is still strong Parts of west Cork are like going back in time.Been to Gods country once, lovely place and again very nice people.

Great to hear you likes it. Next time take a few days and visit west Cork. Scenery is beautiful and people very friendly. Sterling is still strong Parts of west Cork are like going back in time.Been to Gods country once, lovely place and again very nice people.

You been to God's country where I live !! ?

Cool did you visit the Titanic quarter ?

Back