BBC to filter out vuvuzelas on World Cup broadcasts?

jaffa

Inactive User
Reaction score
The BBC is considering ways of filtering out the noise of the vuvuzelas during its World Cup broadcasts in South Africa.
With a rising number of complaints (545 to date) about the cacophony made during matches by the distinctive sounding horns, a spokesperson from the BBC Sports press office told the Chris Evans breakfast show this morning that they were looking at technical solutions to the problem.
"If the vuvuzela continues to impact on audience enjoyment, we will look at what other options we can take to reduce the volume further," says the BBC.
The Corporation says it has "already taken steps to minimise the noise", and is now considering cutting out more of the vuvuzela noise on its red button service, but says a final decision has yet to be made.
If you can't wait for the BBC to deal with it, or FIFA to ban the vuvuzelas, there may be an alternative solution (although it's not one we've tested).

According to a number of reports on the web, if you own a Samsung TV you can tweak the sound settings on it to help reduce the vuvuzela noise:
1) Enter the sound settings for your TV
2) Drop the 300Hz channel and raise the adjacent levels
3) Save as a custom set-up
This does not remove the vuvuzela noise completely, apparently, but it can reduce the impact, although it does have the side effect of making voices on the commentary less full bodied.
If you have a Samsung telly give it a go.

Source

Just set it up there on my sammy, will test with the brazil match.

Sound actuay sounds better right now watching music lol

I hope so, it still means missing out on the crowd chants but I dont see anyway of that changing this tournament.

Were saying this morning that it would affect the rest of the sound available to hear the thud of the ball and the cheer of the crowd.
They are a bloody nuisance when you have them for 90+ minutes a match 3 times a day.
No wonder there are so many flies in SA they talk to the bloody things in there own lingo " vuvuzela "

You bunch of moaning gits!

It's only 50,000 kazoos all being blown at once, what's not to like about it?

:)

Well after some fidling the best result is:

100Hz - Half way

300Hz - Down lowest

1KHz - Down lowest

3KHz - Down lowest

10KHz - Up highest.

Actually makes it so much barebly, comentators are clear, can hear some cheering. when i switch back to normal the diff is shocking. :Clap:

A msp up here is trying to get the stupid things banned from all SPL grounds next season, I hope she succeeds, cause anyone sitting within 10ft of me with one will have to get it surgically removed if they put it anywhere near their lips. :Angryfire

I pity the English fans for next season, apparently their selling like hot cakes down there. :proud:

:Cheers:

A msp up here is trying to get the stupid things banned from all SPL grounds next season, I hope she succeeds, cause anyone sitting within 10ft of me with one will have to get it surgically removed if they put it anywhere near their lips. :Angryfire

I pity the English fans for next season, apparently their selling like hot cakes down there. :proud:

:Cheers:

I'll second that about having to surgically remove the damn things! what ever happened to good old chanting from the fans??? most the world cup games have been pretty sh1t so far and this damn swarm of bees makes it much worse!

Back