Barge crashes into oil well in Gulf of Mexico, new oil leak reported

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
The US Coast Guard dispatched emergency teams Tuesday after a boat crashed into an oil well off the coast of New Orleans, reportedly sending crude spewing some 20 feet into the air.

The wellhead, located about 65 miles (104 kilometers) south of New Orleans, was ruptured when it was struck by a dredge barge being pulled by a tug.

The Coast Guard said it could not immediately confirm reports that a giant fountain of oil was now spewing from the damaged wellhead, which was situated only six feet (1.8 meters) below the surface of the sea.

A strike Coast Guard team from Mobile, Alabama had been dispatched by boat to the scene as well as a helicopter from New Orleans with a marine pollution investigator on board.

"There have been reports of oil from the elision and we are investigating those reports to mitigate any environmental concerns," petty officer William Colclough, a Coast Guard spokesman, told AFP.

"The oil spill liability trust fund has been enacted to provide monetary support for any clean-up operation."

Unrelated to the massive gusher recently capped by BP deep down on the seabed, the incident did occur in a nearby part of the Gulf of Mexico and could require clean-up vessels to be redeployed if reports are confirmed.

Barge crashes into oil well in Gulf of Mexico, new oil leak reported - Yahoo! News UK

HubbleSite - The Telescope - Hubble Essentials - Quick Facts

NASA - Home

FFS i'm starting to think they're trying to purposely pollute the world up the arse. £1000 says in the next few years a magical new fuel is discovered which is more expensive than Oil, slightly less energy output but "safer" for the environment.

FFS i'm starting to think they're trying to purposely pollute the world up the arse. £1000 says in the next few years a magical new fuel is discovered which is more expensive than Oil, slightly less energy output but "safer" for the environment.
its called sunlight and solar panels..

but seriously i recon there doing this just to push prices back up again :S

lets see how they manage to blame this one on BP.

Think this is another problem for Obama to sort out within his GREEN ENVIRONMENT POLICY he used to get in power, not doing so well with it.

Another increase in fuel cost coming i bet once the cost of clean up is finally calculated.

its called sunlight and solar panels..

but seriously i recon there doing this just to push prices back up again :S

Do you know how inefficient that crap is? Needless to say, Solar energy can be used viably only in extremely sunny countries, and still the majority of energy will come from gas and oil, solar and wind are just not efficient enough to replace fossil fuels.

They all ready have this

its called hydrogen.

Do you know how inefficient that crap is? Needless to say, Solar energy can be used viably only in extremely sunny countries, and still the majority of energy will come from gas and oil, solar and wind are just not efficient enough to replace fossil fuels.

There would be enough energy from renewable sources if current usage was curbed. My mate in texas pays a flat rate for electricity, what incentive is there not to run A/C 24x7. When petrol is so cheap what incentive is there to drive less or use more efficent cars.

whats the average engine size of a car in america? i`ll bet its about 8 litre ;) seriously thogh, they are most fuel hungry country in the world....................

i hate yanks ;)

Well petrol definitely isn't cheap in Ireland, i paid 1.32 (euro) a litre for it the other day :(

most engines in America are either v8 or v12, and petrol at £2.50 or there abouts a gallon, here it's over a fiver, and they complain.

Back