Banned xbox 360 machine

SyXx

Inactive User
Reaction score
I got a hold of a core system and it was running an old dashboard so i went on live to upgrade it and it told me that it was banned. So I downloaded the update and ran it thru my USB stick, it updated fine and I see the dashboard as it is now on my other machine but I receive an error code playing any xvid via Tversity or WMP - it appears as though the xbox needs to also download the codec when it notices the file format the very first time the file is launched after the update.

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Funny thing is that it's working with the Winamp ORB based media server but the picture is completely blocky and shite.

Also, can anyone clarify how they are banned? Does this mean that it's been modded or could there be another common misuse of service?

It has been previously modded and banned. they can ban consoles for other reasons but 99.9% of them are because of modifications.

Your 360 needs to accept a Divx codec download if you want to stream raw divx directly to the machine or read them from a disc, this is where you are fooked because there is now way for you to get the codec onto a banned machine.

You should still be able to stream WMV or HD-WMV or play them directly from disc or USB stick.

Right so if im following correctly . . . Tversity should still work because it can transcode on the fly to wmv ?

The only reason I bought this was to act as amedia centre in the bedroom

Last edited:
right . . . . . it doesnt appear to work at all, illl deleete and reinstall and see what happens

Hi just seen this thread. To get TVersity to work on a banned console - you need to go into advanced settings for the folder you are sharing and tick "Transcode evseting of only when needed". as opposed to the default of "only when needed". This will solve your problem

Can you clarify exactly how I do that Diddy ?

You would be better doing it off one of there guides on the web site m8 at least its all writen down there for you to see..........

It worked first time for me and all i changed from default was the resolution as my machine can handle it etc...

I know how to use Tversity, I have it running perfect on another 2 xboxes and a Ps3 . . Im just not familiar with the method diddy explained above as all the other consoles play xvid natively via the online updates.

This one however I need to transcode to wmv on the fly and when I think Ive done all that right by setting it to "always" transcode . . it just doesnt launch any files.

You got me at the moment mate. Im on my laptop and not at home. But from memory -
Say you are sharing a folder titled "My Videos"
Ok so we set up the folder by adding it to Tversity
Next we look at our shares section of Tversity - ie the tab that would now show a folder called "my videos"
right click on this listing and select edit. When the edit box pops up it will give you the option to rename, tag ect ect ect - instead click on the bottom of the box where it says something like "Go Advanced". Now you will find the transcoding menu. From here you can select "always Transcode" as opposed to the default setting of "only when needed". From memory its just a case of ticking the box and saving.
Whenever i do anything with Tversity i always restart the program after a change. This seems to work well for me.
Hope ive helpd a bit mate. As i say this is from memory.....lol

Ive just reread your last post and it seems you have already done the above. Hmm if that the case then you obv should 1st check that you can play locally on your pc first. As you will know having the correct version of ffdshow is pretty important to get things running smooth. Also with regards to having the correct codecs - i dont install their klite package. I use the most excellent "Zoom Player" which cleanly uninstalls all your old codecs and then will download all the latest ones for you and install them silently - ie you just have to promt it to download them and it will install them all for you. This has been good for me so far.....
Then when they are successfully playing locally then you can move on to firewall - port forwarding ect ect ect.

Last edited:
Getting "To play this disc, put it in an Xbox 360 console" when attempting to play games on this 'banned' console. . . . google seems to be telling me that the drive might be fucked.

Anyone any experience with this shit?

in tversity, settings --> transcoder --> when to transcode?

have a play with always transcode or transcode when needed

Getting "To play this disc, put it in an Xbox 360 console" when attempting to play games on this 'banned' console. . . . google seems to be telling me that the drive might be fucked.

Anyone any experience with this shit?

Drive might be bricked, i.e. firmware has the wrong drive key.

Legit games still work fine though?

Back