Backing up an ssd drive worth it?

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My ssd boot drive failed last week, Explorer froze and my drive was dead. I had a backup plan which ran most days so was able to get back up and running after a relatively short time.
Things weren't quite the same though. Icons for Mail and Windows Store were blank in the taskbar, and videos/films etc; wouldn't open in the default program but would work with Windows Media.
I have a feeling there may be more to discover yet. My ssd wasn't the best, a Kingston SSDNow 480gb V300 but was lightning compared to the sata 3 mechanical drive my boot system is on now. I wonder if it's a good idea to do regular backups from an ssd drive? and if it may have shortened it's life.

I am looking at ordering a Samsung 860 Evo 1TB and doing a clean install of win 10.

I don't store anything of importance on my SSD, that's all on my storage drive.

The storage drive is backed up regularly, so if the SSD fails I can just fit a new one and do a clean install on it.

If you're reading/writing to an SSD a lot, then you will burn them out pretty quickly. TBH, storage is so cheap these days it's not worth storing anything bar the OS on an SSD, and as Nara said have a storage drive for the rest of your stuff.

I have over 6.5TB of storage on this pc and my important stuff is backed up in more than one place. My documents are on my C drive but also backed up to an external drive.
I was backing up the C drive but in all honesty it is probably quicker to install fresh anyway. It took quite a while to restore from backup and as previously mentioned it wasn't exactly faultless.

I ordered the Samsung Evo 860 but opted for the 500gb version instead of the 1TB.

I backup my drive using acronis true image and the app on my WD NAS drive. It lets me store the large image file there. The only downside is that you have to create a bootable disk/usb and run Acronis from that to create/restore.

Last edited:
using Macrium Reflect works well for me :)

I backup my drive using acronis true image and the app on my WD drive. It lets me store the large image file there. The only downside is that you have to create a bootable disk/usb and run Acronis from that to create/restore.

Is there not an option to install the Acronis bootloader on the local HDD? If I need to re-image I hold down F8 for the menu, if I remember right.

We have one at work that has been hammered for years without a fault. I was apprehensive for a while and I still back up onto spinning rust at home but my trust level of SSDs has been raised a lot.

I use Samsung SSDs.

using Macrium Reflect works well for me :)

Trying it out now, but how do you restore if you need too? I mean Acronis uses an image you load from disk/usb stick so how does this one work?

Edit:Looking good, only took 21 minutes to create a backup of 159gb

Last edited:
Is there not an option to install the Acronis bootloader on the local HDD? If I need to re-image I hold down F8 for the menu, if I remember right.

We have one at work that has been hammered for years without a fault. I was apprehensive for a while and I still back up onto spinning rust at home but my trust level of SSDs has been raised a lot.

I use Samsung SSDs.

Its not a big issue, I have a 1gb sdcard with the image that i can load when needed.

Windows 10 handles disk optimisation quite well. It recognises an ssd and selection is greyed out so optimisation will not run. I have noticed however that as I have temporarily restored from backup, my current C drive (mechanical) shows in optimisation as an ssd.

That wouldn't be ideal if I were planning to keep this setup rather than installing a new ssd.

On a slightly happier note, the new ssd comes with a free pc code for The Division 2.

Last edited:
I use cheap chinese SSD's nowadays and none have ever failed..

I have a media server running on SSD but use the spinning disk for storage.. ironic this thread mentions failing SSD's. ive only ever lost 1 hard drive in my lifetime and that was a mechanical 1tb western digital which set me back weeks in media..

Got me thinking though, i shall do a backup of my SSD just incase.. only have to do it the once as the operating system never changes.

New ssd arrived this morning and thought I would give restore from one of my backups another try. Took over an hour but worked perfectly this time. All my programs work as they should and all icons are visible in the taskbar.
Most importantly I have my speed back and then some, the Samsung Evo range is awesome.

I am going to adjust my backup plan to be system only as I regularly backup the documents, etc; to an external drive anyway. My backups then will be much smaller and less frequent.

New ssd arrived this morning and thought I would give restore from one of my backups another try. Took over an hour but worked perfectly this time. All my programs work as they should and all icons are visible in the taskbar.
Most importantly I have my speed back and then some, the Samsung Evo range is awesome.

I am going to adjust my backup plan to be system only as I regularly backup the documents, etc; to an external drive anyway. My backups then will be much smaller and less frequent.

Not using incremental backup?

Not using incremental backup?
Yes mate but obviously on a restore it also uses the full backup. I actually had to restore again as it all fooked up after taking an update. The backup I used had a scheduled update so it ran as soon as I powered down. Upon restart I was greeted with this.IMG_0340.JPG

I restored again from a different backup with no pending updates and everything seems good. I have disabled updates for now while I decide what to do for the best.
I keep 2 full backups plus an incremental but have to set it up again now as I have made some changes and drive letters have changed. Also need to change the parameters of the backups, perhaps a weekly incremental and a monthly full backup.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Well I haven't got a clue what the hell is happening with this pc. I have just opened mail from the taskbar, checked my emails and now a few icons have disappeared from the taskbar again!!!!
Microsoft Store, iTunes and Mail icons are blank. An extra Steam icon has appeared but it looks like a file icon. Photos and Films and TV has stopped working again. All happened in the time it took me to open an email. o_O

Attachments

• Taskbar.jpg
    Taskbar.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 5
Back