Axl throws a wobbly :)

wiz569

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Guns N' Roses walk off stage

Guns N' Roses front man Axl Rose stormed off stage last night after plastic bottles of water were thrown at his band during a performance in Dublin.
Rose had earlier frustrated the capacity crowd at the O2 by turning up late.
A statement from MCD today said he was supposed to on stage at 9.45pm, but ended up going on stage at 10.26pm despite "every effort being made by the promoters" to ensure the band took to the stage on time.
The promoter and the O2 have apologised to fans.
Rose stopped the band during the intro to the second song Welcome to the Jungle when a bottle of water was thrown on stage.
"Here's the deal, one more bottle, we go home," he told the crowd. "We want to stay. If you don't want to have fun just let us know. We'll be on our way."
Rose made good his promise after another bottle was thrown as guitarist Richard Fortus was about to start a solo. The singer took his band off stage to a cacophony of boos and cat-whistles at the end of the fourth song Mr Brownstone.
Guns N' Roses had been on stage for 22 minutes.
The crowd were told they were experiencing "technical difficulties" before MCD promoter Denis Desmond came on stage and asked the crowd for patience.
"We're trying hard to get Axl to come back on stage," he said. "I'm trying hard to get Axl to come back on stage. I'd ask you please to refrain from throwing items at him. I promise a great show, but you have to calm. I'm sorry about that."
After a short interval, the lights came on and thousands of fans left the arena.
The band appeared back on stage at 11.20pm to complete their set. Rose said to the crowd: "Let's try this again". He did not say another word to the crowd other than to thank them at the end.
The band played until 12.52am, by which stage more fans had left.
The statement issued by MCD made no mention of refunds for those fans who left the concert early in the mistaken belief that it was over.
It pointed out Rose had a long history of turning up late on stage, particularly in 1992 when he was two hours late for an appearance at Slane Castle. However, the promoter said it was not an excuse to throw things on stage at him.
MCD said it prevented Rose from leaving the venue and he agreed to go back onstage following backstage discussions.
Last night's concert is the latest in a long line of issues involving Rose, who has a reputation as one of rock music's most unpredictable stars with a penchant for turning up late and storming off stage.

The European leg of his Chinese Democracy tour is turning into a disaster. The power was cut on the band's performance at Reading after they went on stage an hour late. Their set was also cut short at Leeds, where they were 35 minutes late.

Rose is the only surviving original member of the original band.

Guns N' Roses walk off stage - The Irish Times - Thu, Sep 02, 2010

This is not the first time plastic bottles have been thrown on stage recall reading it somewhere.

Must admit though it's not very professional for a band to turn up late for a gig that has cost the spectators who line there pockets a small fortune for the pleasure.

He should know better,never short change a Paddy :proud:

I remember the Pixies doing the same at the SECC. W*nk*rs, They didn't come back on and no refund. Don't think I'd pay good money to see G+R these days just Axle and a backing band.

thebigman

He's done it for 20 years - it's one of the reasons izzy originally left.

Aug '91, wembley, awesome. NIN supported and it was how i got into them... happy days. Might have been june '92 - it was the one where they filmed footage for 'live and let die' as axl announced it at the start..

Last edited:
Axl Rose has been doing this sort of thing for a long time, I like the guy and he's talented no doubt and the band was awesome...but...honestly I don't blame him for walking off stage if the crowd are being twats while your performing for them. Fook who's paid what why should he put himself or his band mates in harms way if the crowd are causing problems and distress during the performance ? What would you do ? You're just out there trying to do what you love and to make a living. But it takes balls to stand by your guns enough to just walk off stage like that if the crowd are being dangerous but I'd do the same if it was me and my band (not that I have one) but I wouldn't put up with that shit either to be honest. If the crowd are throwing objects on stage it's exactly the same as the crowd throwing objects at a footy match - it crosses a line it's out of order and it's hazardous. But unlike with football in this case the performers had the right to say Fook You right back and abandon the set. I know it's easier to blame everyone else but yourself and all that but end of the day he had every right to walk off stage. I'd have done the same thing if it was me. You shouldn't have to put up with that shit. And Axl Rose for one knows it as well pmsl!

Axl Rose has been doing this sort of thing for a long time, I like the guy and he's talented no doubt and the band was awesome...but...honestly I don't blame him for walking off stage if the crowd are being twats while your performing for them. Fook who's paid what why should he put himself or his band mates in harms way if the crowd are causing problems and distress during the performance ? What would you do ? You're just out there trying to do what you love and to make a living. But it takes balls to stand by your guns enough to just walk off stage like that if the crowd are being dangerous but I'd do the same if it was me and my band (not that I have one) but I wouldn't put up with that shit either to be honest. If the crowd are throwing objects on stage it's exactly the same as the crowd throwing objects at a footy match - it crosses a line it's out of order and it's hazardous. But unlike with football in this case the performers had the right to say Fook You right back and abandon the set. I know it's easier to blame everyone else but yourself and all that but end of the day he had every right to walk off stage. I'd have done the same thing if it was me. You shouldn't have to put up with that shit. And Axl Rose for one knows it as well pmsl!

Your probably right m8 but I would have been well pissed off waiting for him to come on stage in the first place.

i wud demand my money back !!!
it is upto the security to throw out any stupid pissed up fans who are misbehaving !
At the end of the day the other thousands of "innocent" fans did NOT get what they paid hard earned money for .
They simply did not do there job . No matter how it is looked at .
Axl should blame security at his gigs, not annoyed fans ( they had good reason to be annoyed too) !

Last edited:
no respect for his fans, so why respect him, if its a oe off, no problems but this guy is well known for it, feck him, i`d of done the same, only it would of been glass........................welcome to the jungle axl!

He did it at Download too when we saw him. Thing was he was already there as I saw him up in the VIP area with all his security goons around him at about 10am in the morning. Also when he did come on the stage was wet and he slipped so he went off in strop for about 30 minutes until they put carpet down for him!

He does it because he thinks he can do it and get away with it, but people have changed since the early '90s.

He's also lucky it was only bottle of water! At a Bloodstock someone threw a giant gobstopper at Cradle of Filth.

Back