ATI Radeon Graphics cards?

clive58

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is there a site which compares the Radeon graphics cards?

Basically I don't want to sift through all the blurb on each card to find out which card is faster/ better than the other products they have.

I thought that if the model number was higher it would be better but this is not so.
ie.
I'd like to find out which card is better between:
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB AGP (http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1650/radeonx1650pro/specs.html)
&
ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB AGP (http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx800/index.html)

Now the ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB AGP looks like a much more muscular card with more clout than the ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB AGP.

So is there a benchmark test site or something that compares all the ATI Radeon cards easily for you?

ATI mainsite:http://ati.amd.com/products/home-office.html

I want a good gaming graphics card for a PC I'm building for my son out of old parts so I'm limited to P4 chip and AGPx8 (No PCI-E) and I dont want to break the bank.

Clive.

Just Google the name of the card u are interested and add the word 'review', this should give you a list of review sites which usually compare the card against other similar spec cards.

some advice

i have a x1950 pro card and am now wanting to add another card....can i add any card? or does it have to b the same ie: another ati or gotta x1950 pro....i am running windows xp i have in intel core @1.8ghz + 2 gb ram + a msi motherboard ....any help would b nice thx

i have a x1950 pro card and am now wanting to add another card....can i add any card? or does it have to b the same ie: another ati or gotta x1950 pro....i am running windows xp i have in intel core @1.8ghz + 2 gb ram + a msi motherboard ....any help would b nice thx

Are you looking at replacing the existing card or adding an additional card (e.g. for multi-monitor support)

Are you looking at replacing the existing card or adding an additional card (e.g. for multi-monitor support)

Good catch, missed that bit.

If you are after multi GPU you'll need to check if your motherboard supports it and which one if it does.

SLi needs nvidia cards of the same model number, e.g. 8800GTS. For optimal results the both nvidia and the manuf's recommend that you buy the same card from the same manufacturer, e.g. 2x BFG 8800GT OC 512Mb GDDR3.

CrossFire (aka XFire) was designed to work with any ATI PCI-e card from about the X1600 model (iirc). So you can use a bleeding edge 3870 with an old X1650 if you wanted.

(I've also read that some people have managed to get an ATI GFx card running with an nvidia GFx card on a custom BIOS on a crossfire motherboard.)

Last edited:
Good catch, missed that bit.

If you are after multi GPU you'll need to check if your motherboard supports it and which one if it does.

SLi needs nvidia cards of the same model number, e.g. 8800GTS. For optimal results the both nvidia and the manuf's recommend that you buy the same card from the same manufacturer, e.g. 2x BFG 8800GT OC 512Mb GDDR3.

CrossFire (aka XFire) was designed to work with any ATI PCI-e card from about the X1600 model (iirc). So you can use a bleeding edge 3870 with an old X1650 if you wanted.

(I've also read that some people have managed to get an ATI GFx card running with an nvidia GFx card on a custom BIOS on a crossfire motherboard.)

what is CROSSFIRE(XFIRE) ...i have a sli bridge conecctor+ it says my motherboard says it has nividia sli dual vga ready..

what is CROSSFIRE(XFIRE) ...i have a sli bridge conecctor+ it says my motherboard says it has nividia sli dual vga ready..

my question is how do i no if my motherbard is compatible... coz i have a x1950 pro and wana add a 1950 gt both ati..oh its for better performance on games i want it for...not to add anopther monitor?

If its an SLi mobo it won't support 2x ATi cards. There are no motherboards that support both SLI and CrossFire.

You'll have to use 2x nvidia cards, but you may as well get one good card for the performance advantage it'll give you, e.g. using 2x7800 would give similar results to a single 8800 but cost 1.5x as much.

If its an SLi mobo it won't support 2x ATi cards. There are no motherboards that support both SLI and CrossFire.
You'll have to use 2x nvidia cards, but you may as well get one good card for the performance advantage it'll give you, e.g. using 2x7800 would give similar results to a single 8800 but cost 1.5x as much.

I believe the X38 & X48 boards support both. But its unlikely the orignal has one of these so he is stuck with SLi.

nvidia and ATI both do multi GPU cards which are effectivily SLI/Crossfire type configuration but in one card.

yes i wana add another monitor does this mean i can just put the other card in...although it is a sli board and i have 2 ati cards?

Does your current x1950 not have two monitor outputs?

If so there is no need for 2 graphics cards.

ok another problem bhoy i am such a noob:p when i connect the monitor lead into the other output the monitor switches itself off ..is there some settings i need to adjust:

(NB doing this with an ATI x300 on XP)

• With one monitor attached go to desktop and right click 'empty space' (i.e. not on a shortcut or the taskbar/start menu).
  • Go to 'properties'.
  • Select the 'settings' tab.
  • On the 'display' drop down box change the selection to '2. [Default monitor] on RADEON X1950 series Secondary.'
  • Put a tick in the 'Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor' box.
  • Apply.
  • Ok.
  • Shut down and attach other monitor.
  • Reboot.

If this doesn't work, post back.

Is there a site which compares the Radeon graphics cards?

Basically I don't want to sift through all the blurb on each card to find out which card is faster/ better than the other products they have.

I thought that if the model number was higher it would be better but this is not so.
ie.
I'd like to find out which card is better between:
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB AGP (http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1650/radeonx1650pro/specs.html)
&
ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB AGP (http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx800/index.html)

Now the ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB AGP looks like a much more muscular card with more clout than the ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB AGP.

So is there a benchmark test site or something that compares all the ATI Radeon cards easily for you?

ATI mainsite:http://ati.amd.com/products/home-office.html

I want a good gaming graphics card for a PC I'm building for my son out of old parts so I'm limited to P4 chip and AGPx8 (No PCI-E) and I dont want to break the bank.

Clive.

Hello mate.

how cheap are you talking?

The X1900 series are great performers from ATI and should be less than £50 on AGP format. (Second hand obviously.)

Try and get the X1950XTX if you can, one of the best AGP cards out there, other than that any X1900, X1800, the X800XT or X850XT (platimum series if possible) are old but great performers to revive an old system. Also you should be able to pick up something like an X1650pro or XT version in AGP format. The XT being better. If going for the 1650pro series try and get one with GDDR3 memory as GDD2 is dated and slow and it does reflect in the game frame rates.

The above are ATI cards. For Nvidia cards you should be looking at the 7900 series, the GTX being the best. Any 7800 series will be fine, also a 7600GT or GS (GT being the better) will be fine for a cheap budget card. Looking back at older models the 6800Ultra is a good performer, then maybe look at a 6800GT. But htese are older models, they can still play games at decent rates, but obviously you expect to find these at the lower end f the price scale.

If you come across a card and are unsure as to whether it is worth it or not, just post on here and we will tell you.

Back