Asus P5K Premium wifi board

Pranav

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi i have insatted my mobo and screwed it onto the case....and al other components too just waiitng for my gfx card to come.....i wanted to know wiht the mobo there was 2 optional fans that came....however it says only use these for passive cooling and if there is no CPU fan but my cpu came with a heatisnk/fan

do you think i should still install these small optional fans?

i have one of these boards abd thought the same as you but i did like the manual says and havent had any problems.

Depends on if you plan on overclocking. If not then I find the north and south bridges and VRM (which is what these fans are for I assume) to be OK as long as there is sufficent airflow in the case. I assume that you are not planning on passive cooling for CPU ?

Passive cooling mean no fan is being used. There are some CPU coolers that can keep a non-overclocked CPU cool just on case fans. In this instance you will need to use the chipset coolers as there in no ait coming from the non-existant CPU fan.

As you are using a CPU fan then there is not need for the chipset coolers.

although im no expert be warned that disrupting the airflow could cause more problems than it solves

As Oneman stated, passive cooling is without a fan. The motherboard is designed to take the heat away from the chipset by means of the copper pipes, which is then cooled by the CPU fan. So it is not neccessary to use the smaller fans.

hi everyone i have a big problem....i connected all my pc and when i went to boot it up for first time i let it load and got a Unable to detect CPU. "Please update your BIOS to unleash the CPU Power" - as a result i researched on net and found that i had to update BIOS/

I dont have a FLOPY DRIVE but have USB Stick and i donwloaded the latets asus BIOS (v0612) for my P5K-Premium-wifi-AP Motherboard and put this onto the USB however it did not detect the ROM file i put when i went to EZ Flash to update the BIOS?

Can someone please help i have made a pc and now cannot even get it to starts :(

right for some strange reason a file appeared in the C:/ drive for the EZ FLASH menu i then tried to update the system with this BIOS (not sure if it was my latest one) but it does not show that Error anymore but comes up with a different message in.

Reboot Device or selct bootable cd or somehting like this?

Does this mean it is working and now i have to put in my CD for installing my OS?

ALSO In the BIOS Menu my Q9300 CPU is showing the following temperature - can an expert tell me if this is correct seems quite high too me?
CPU Temperature = [47 c/119.5 f]
MB Temperature [30c/86c]
CPU Fanspeed [1928RPM[

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about the flash problems but the temps seem OK. The fan would be spinning faster if there was a problem, I think the stock fans spins at upto something like 3000 rpm.

Quick question about the BIOS problem, it is not booting past POST ?

hi I fixed the bios issue...now but can you tell me as this is new to me....i instaleled windows XP Pro on the PC and have all the CDs that came with the different components such as Monitor, Gfx card etc...do i install these drivers now ?...what is the purpose of these CDs if the components working now anyway??

Thanks please kindly let me know

The CD are they to get you up and running in case you don't have a internet connection. Also its more common to have the manuals on the CD rather then having a printed copy.

I think most of us just get the latest drivers off the web. The generic drivers from the Windows web site generally provide basic compatibility with the manufactures own drivers often offering better tuning and more options and applets. Its up to you if you want to go with the generic one or manufactures own one.

hi

all my compoenents work without drivers thoughh so why do i need 2 to install it in the first place then??

Thanks

Not all distributions of windows comes will all the drivers, especially if you are not using WinXP. In that instance you will need the CD.

If you OS installs and the drivers are working, its up to you if you want to use the CD, the built in drivers or get the latest ones from the web. Most people are happy to use the built in drivers.

Back