astra 1.4 16v ecotec engine 2000 reg

hmusa1

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi i have just brought a astra 1.4 and have just noticed that the oil cap has mayo under it and so does the oil sump, i also noticed that the water expansion bottle was empty, does this mean that the head gaskets gone or could it be other things, i have read that having these symptoms on an astra doesnt nessary mean that the gasket is gone, please can someone help, i am now going to monitor the water level and see if it goes down.

also is changing the head gasket an easy job or not thanks

It does sound like head gasket m8, first of I would put a engine flush in and change oil and watch water level.
The head on bad to lift off but if you have no experience leave it in somewhere.
Is the car overheating?

no car is not over heating it is running fine, on runs it runs between the 80 to 90 mark

hi i have just brought a astra 1.4 and have just noticed that the oil cap has mayo under it

You bought a car without checking the state of the oil first? :err:

Expensive mistake mate.

no mate i checked the oil it were fine when i went to see the car, i checked it again after a test drive it were fine, ive just checked it today again and i found this

Has the car done a lot of miles.Sometimes you can get the cream from a car that has not been used much and the auto choke stays on.Could well just need a full service.Is any water coming out of the exhaust when it is running.

car has only done 4 thousand miles in a year according to mot and totally done 56k, there is no water coming out of the exhaust when running or idiling. besides oil and filter changes what else is needed in full service
the air filter looks new so does the oil filter and oil looked new when i checked it when i were looking at the car, how do you check if auto choke has stayed on

car has only done 4 thousand miles in a year according to mot and totally done 56k, there is no water coming out of the exhaust when running or idiling. besides oil and filter changes what else is needed in full service
the air filter looks new so does the oil filter and oil looked new when i checked it when i were looking at the car, how do you check if auto choke has stayed on

when somebody has a car and they dont do many miles the choke never has time to fully turn off you can tell when it is on from cold because the engine revs go higher when the car gets hot it turns the choke off. the choke works of water temperature.Does your heater work ok.

heaters work fine got hot and cold air from them, i have noticed the engine revs high when the car starts from cold then when it warms up the engine revs drop to normal, this must mean the choke is working properly,

the head gasket has most probbley gone by the sounds of it imo.

the head gasket has most probbley gone by the sounds of it imo.

good evening joe looks like another astra problem here m8 sounds like the head gasket doesnt it.Do you think it could be a job for witchy to do?.

how much does it cost to have the head gasket done

how much does it cost to have the head gasket done

do you know a good garage?. if you do take it there and get the engine pressure tested that way you will know how to rectify the problem and if it is the gasket they will give you a quote. Must warn you its not a cheap repair.goodluck m8 keep us posted.

il get it pressure tested see what they find and let you know

if u top the water expansion bottle back up, does it disapeer pretty quickly (over the next 20 miles) or does it stay pretty stable.

i have bought quite a few astra`s at auctions and the mayo/gunk u are on about in the oil filler cap and dipstick is a regular occurance. was told its something to do with oil breather (dont flame me if its not the oil breather).
ecotec engines are notorious for drinking oil and gunkin up.

if u are still worried, get it pressure tested as stated.

regards
jase

if the car does short journey here and there engine may not get to the running temp for the gunk to burn off which is known to happen,as said a good idea also as said is to get 2 tests done the sniff test for head gasket and a coolant pressure test if you have a water leak around cooling system,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPIIEoNOSA]YouTube - Testing a Head Gasket[/ame]

did you buy it from a dealer or private as i would take it back to if it was a dealer,

and im not sure if witchi could sort this one haha

got it from a dealer i now have a warrenty for the car, from the dealer this is all they would give, should the head gasket be covered under warrenty? also when a head gasket goes as long as the coolent system has water should the cylinder head and body be safe from cracking

Back