Aston Villa forgoes lucrative shirt sponsorship to promote charity

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
BIRMINGHAM, England — Aston Villa is forgoing a lucrative shirt sponsor to promote a children's charity.

The Premier League club has followed the lead of FC Barcelona's free tie-up with UNICEF.

Villa will publicize the work of Acorns children's hospices in central England on its claret and blue jerseys after a multimillion dollar deal with an Internet gaming company expired.

"Yes, the shirts have monetary value, but they also have emotional value to fans and this is something to give back to them," said Duncan Riddle, the club's head of community relations.

Villa, owned by American Randy Lerner, is the first Premier League club to shun a lucrative sponsorship deal.

"Real credit must go to Aston Villa for being the first Premier League club to use their shirt sponsorship to highlight their charity partnership with Acorns," Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said. "I am sure that Acorns' association with Aston Villa will be a great help in raising awareness and funds for the excellent work they undertake."

Acorns look after 600 children and families and run three 10-bed units across central England.

i wish more of the clubs follow villas example.....nice one villa :Clap:...its a multi billion pound industry out there and football should help out more charities...

:Clap::Clap:

Well done Villa not only are you going to sell us your Captain you also do something like this well done and a big thankyou from all. Just wish LFC had the guts to do something like this but that Hicks bastad is more concerned about lining his own pocket..

well done randy lerner, seems a genuinely nice guy to have in charge of your club. Wish I could say the same for our(liverpools)owners.

Puts the top clubs to shame, villa are hardly rolling in it and yet they can still do this for charity.

Shame on you chelsea and manu :( SHAAAAAAMMMMME ON YOU : spank :lol

well done randy lerner, seems a genuinely nice guy to have in charge of your club. Wish I could say the same for our(liverpools)owners.

Puts the top clubs to shame, villa are hardly rolling in it and yet they can still do this for charity.

Shame on you chelsea and manu :( SHAAAAAAMMMMME ON YOU : spank :lol

Forgot to add, Shame on Liverpool and Arsenal and other the other clubs pretty much too.

As a blue nose it is realy hard for me to say this but, well done villa!

I echo the sentiments of all the other posters and think this is a very generous gesture by Villa.

Its a breath of fresh air to see a club give something to a worth while cause, may they reach the UEFA Cup next season for there generousity. The CL is just a bridge to far no matter how generous they are.

Back