assigning Static ip to dreambox / Draytek 2900G router

MikeTV

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
I've just been given a Draytek 2900G router and can't see a router menu option to assign a static IP address to my Dreambox set top box which is connected to it.

With my dlink router, i simply set the Dreambox to DHCP, and then use the LAN static ip settings in the router to enter the MAC address of the Dreambox and the ip address i want to use, and it will always assign that IP to it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to replicate this with the Draytek?

Many thanks.

I would not bother configuring the router. Check what IP address you PC is getting from the router e.g.

IP 192.168.1.100
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

This would indicate that DHCP range the router is using starts at 100. So pick an address under 100 (e.g. 192.168.1.2) and use that for your dreambox.

Then go into Dreambox -> setup -> Expert Setup -> Communication
Untick the option for DHCP and setup the static IP details.

You can get DNS information from your PC as well but it should be the same as address as the router.

Thanks Oneman.

I just wondered whether this router had the same functionality as others, in terms of assigning the static ip from the router though.

Regards.

Thanks Oneman.

I just wondered whether this router had the same functionality as others, in terms of assigning the static ip from the router though.

Regards.

most routers do have this option, static ip's need to be reserved, so that they are not assigned to another client.

most routers do have this option, static ip's need to be reserved, so that they are not assigned to another client.

True, but on most of them there is a large portion of the subnet that is not within the DHCP range. Most routers have a 24bit mask (254 addresses) yet DHCP range is usually 100 addresses which should be enough for most home users.

Back