Are you sick of ebay?

Captin

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sick of the way ebay treats it's users, especially sellers?

Buying second hand goods or goods no longer wanted is fine, but if you are looking to buy new then ebay may not be the best option.

It might cost 1 or 2 pounds more to buy from ebuyer, 7 day shop or amazon but you get much better backup and peace of mind. When you order a 16gb flash drive from play.com you know it's going to be 16gb, and if you aint satisfied then you get your money back, try sorting that out with some of the low lifes on ebay when you find out you've been sold a 4gb drives dressed up as a 16gb one.

There are alternatives. Probably not as popular, but maybe less hassle.

1 alternative if you are buying gadgets and stuff is to shop around, look at sites like pandawill, chinavision, volumerates or priceangels.

The largest population on ebay by far is dropshippers, they don't hold stock but instead order from sites like those I have just listed and get the good sent direct to the customer, and adding some percentage on top for the privilege. So save some money and order direct from the Chinese suppliers yourself, they all have rates for single purchases.

Or you could try an ebay alternative, like one of these.

bidCapture.JPG

More info on each one from here - eBay Alternatives - Alternatives To eBay for Electronics Drop-Shipping

I'd still buy from eBay and wouldnt trust any others just due to the time its been around and the size. Gumtree for example is full of scams as well as murderers and thieves.

Im a seller and a buyer on ebay, 550 positive feedbacks, not a single complaint. been messed about a few times by royal mail but thats to be expected and its been sorted out.
i would never buy memory cards/usb sticks from ebay tho because 99% are fake.

same as above, i do love ebay and nearly hitting 1000 feedback but i make sure i know who i am dealing with as i have been messed about just under 30 times...

I'd still buy from eBay and wouldnt trust any others just due to the time its been around and the size. Gumtree for example is full of scams as well as murderers and thieves.

Quite a lot of the others have been around just as long as ebay, and they take paypal too so they are just as safe.

Gumtree is owned by ebay.

In 2005 we became part of the Kijiji family within eBay. Both Gumtree and Kijiji revolve around thriving online communities and so we hope to learn a lot from each other. Kijiji, which means "village" in Swahili, is a group of community classifieds websites similar to us found in more than 90 cities around the world.

I use ebay myself quite a lot, having nearly 500 feedback 100% positive. But I still explore the alternatives.

I would always pay by paypal though, even though paypal is owned by ebay too.

My latest eBay hassle.....

Part 1

Sold a laptop screen.
Buyer didn't pay or make contact.
I sent a few reminders etc.
No contact.
I raise a non payment claim to get my fee's reimbursed.
I relist the item.
Original buyer suddenly pops up (almost 3 weeks later) demanding that I send the screen to him as it is HIS!
He raises a claim against me saying he tried contacting me but I ignored him.
Buyer WINS claim and leaves me negative feedback.
He hadn't even paid, yet eBay decided in his favour!?

Part 2

I listed a few other bits and bobs, all computer related.
A new eBay member (who had only signed up the same day) bought all 8 of my items.
I knew it was a piss-take but I sent an invoice anyway.
No reply.
1 week later, I contact eBay to inform them that I suspected the Buyer account was fake and I raise a non payment claim.
1 week after that I get a counter claim from the 'buyer' saying that he had sent me postal orders and had already paid for the items. even though in his comments he stated that my name, address and contact telephone number were all wrong! So how did he know they were wrong and where did he post the postal orders to? And how come everyone else that has ever dealt with me on eBay can find my correct name, address and phone number!?

So this guy bought 8 items, hasn't paid but is claiming that I have got his money and refusing to send the items to him.

I know for certain that the buyer is the same person from Part 1 of my tale.

In the meantime he left me 8 negative feedbacks.

Last edited:
I try and avoid ebay wherever possible, not that I've ever been scammed or anything (and I rarely use for selling) it's just I find I get better service from Amazon and Play....you don't get as much choice with them two but anything that is on you get much better service on. So I just use ebay for small incidental electrical stuff like splitter cables or extension leads etc. Most of my stuff I just get directly from Amazon. No messing about. Get one or two nob jockey sellers though, hence another reason why mostly Amazon direct and not marketplace nobodies.

That's one thing that irks me a bit people harp on about dick wad buyers not paying etc and that's a fair point....but it's not just some buyers the fact is there's a fair few shit house sellers as well and it works both ways.

Last edited:
My latest eBay hassle.....

Part 1

Sold a laptop screen.
Buyer didn't pay or make contact.
I sent a few reminders etc.
No contact.
I raise a non payment claim to get my fee's reimbursed.
I relist the item.
Original buyer suddenly pops up (almost 3 weeks later) demanding that I send the screen to him as it is HIS!
He raises a claim against me saying he tried contacting me but I ignored him.
Buyer WINS claim and leaves me negative feedback.
He hadn't even paid, yet eBay decided in his favour!?

Part 2

I listed a few other bits and bobs, all computer related.
A new eBay member (who had only signed up the same day) bought all 8 of my items.
I knew it was a piss-take but I sent an invoice anyway.
No reply.
1 week later, I contact eBay to inform them that I suspected the Buyer account was fake and I raise a non payment claim.
1 week after that I get a counter claim from the 'buyer' saying that he had sent me postal orders and had already paid for the items. even though in his comments he stated that my name, address and contact telephone number were all wrong! So how did he know they were wrong and where did he post the postal orders to? And how come everyone else that has ever dealt with me on eBay can find my correct name, address and phone number!?

So this guy bought 8 items, hasn't paid but is claiming that I have got his money and refusing to send the items to him.

I know for certain that the buyer is the same person from Part 1 of my tale.

In the meantime he left me 8 negative feedbacks.

wot a ****** doing that to you id drove down to him caved his skull in m8 thats just pure p i s s take why they do it did he get refund from you even tho he never payed getting me worried now i put somethin up for sale on ebay yesterday lol
we got real luvaton bag aswell no way going sell that on there

The worst thing to happen to online auctioning in the UK was the closure of Yahoo! auctions. They were superb with lots of users and free listing. Never once did I get ripped off and had no problems ever.

They shut and Ebay pretty much had the monopoly and charged for the privilege of using Paypal and listing and everything they could. They're like the RyanAir of auction sites.

/Nochex was awesome but Ebay killed it off on the sly.

Bring back Yahoo! auctions :)

Back