Aquarium Substrate

We have some play sand in the shed I've just been told :) my daughter buys it for her gerbils to bath in
I just had a look at it to see what it was like, and its so fine :) and think it will do the job

we have 1 and a half bags, so i'll wash the half a bag to see how much washing it needs

washed the play sand :)
didnt take much washing at all really, added bit by bit during the course of the day and all looks very nice :)

the first lot I put in made the water a little cloudy but soon filtered through in around an hour
2nd and 3rd lot was fine, water is a little cloudy but should be clear by the morning I reckon

as always thanks for all the help and tips given :) always appreciated

Put up the pics, lets all have a butchers lol

Mick

Don't have fish myself. But has anyone thought of using kiln dried sand? From a builders suppliers. It's very fine, and been in an oven so should be quite clean.

Id like to move from gravel to sand, is this hard work ?
Ive read the sand has to be super clean as it can make the water cloudy and as it passes through the filter the water can become frothy

anyone use sand ? and know the best way to clean it

:)
thanks

yeah man, sand CAN be a fine substrate.
by far the most used is argos/toysrus playsand
"silver" or "kiln dried" sand do a fair job. but the sand is very "sharp" and not suited to bottom dwellers. (amongst others)
whilst there is no drawback to using "Aquarium" branded products, there is no advantage either. considering their cost, why would you use them?

you will need to wash the sand several times, alternating between warm and cold water till the water runs clear (well fairly)

then i find its down to technique. as even the costliest Aquarium sand makes the water very cloudy!!!!!!!!!!

the following technique is kulled from my own, and from vicarious, experience drawn over close to a decade chatting on just this subject.

having washed and washed and washed my sand,(answer to how best to wash sand is boring repetitive rinsing) next step is to remove the old substrate.

I now use a stainless sieve for the job, after removing any decorations airstones and such like.
just scoop out the old stuff, dont worry your tank will look frightful, this will clear if you leave the tank to settle for an hour or so.
I now reduce the water to 50%, leaving the fish still in there.
remembering to switch off your heater and filter.

to lay down your new substrate, I'd suggest using a plastic takeaway tub (large)
i scoop up some of my sand and CAREFULLY lower it into the water. as the tub touches the bottom i VERY CAREFULLY tip out its contents. remember to remove the tub just as carefully as you lowered it.
repeat till your base is covered. leave the tank to settle for an hour.
if you have an external, or an internal that will work with 50% filling, you can switch them back on now.
if not after the hour to settle, CAREFULLY top your tank up to 100%, and switch both heater and filter back on.

your water will clear in an hour or two, IF you have done this as carefully as it needs.

now add back your decorations. remember airstones will kick up sand so placement is key.
(actually i find if you lay your airstones at the very back of the tank, they draw back any solid waste that lays on the sand. making it much easier to clean up.

next step is to clean the mechanical section of your filter (remove any sand that has accumulated)

then you should be fit to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much @Firemouth
excellent :)

lol, that's only the start!!!!!!!!!!!!
cleaning too is an art worth learning. otherwise you end up buying a bag of sand every year.

if you are looking to plant your tank, even if you had never thought of it till now, this is the time.
a layer of pure Fullers Earth, cat litter to you and me, placed in first will not only allow you to plant. but also gives you some help in giving your substrate a bit of contour making it look more natural.

not wishing to bore you but:

it may be worth getting yourself a "gravel vac" (manual not a lecci one) get one with the widest bore you can (end in the water) this will shift lots of water, but the water will flow more slowly thus helping to avoid dragging too much sand up, as you clean.

something else that comes up is "sand compaction" and gas build up.

some constantly disturb the substrate to avoid this, which works, however its not necessary.
compaction actually allows your substrate to hold form. and whilst gasses will build up, when and if they release the gas, it simply floats to the tank surface (with no significant exchange) and pops making a smell but nothing more serious.

@Firemouth your not boring me at all mate :)
I am always happy listening to someone else's advice and tips :)

I've already added the sand substrate and I really like the look of it :) Im in the process of re landscaping it as I want a more natural look, more wood I think, maybe a tall centre piece; we'll see lol

up to now I've had a heavily planted tank which I don't mind the look of tbh but fancy a change :) but will still have some live plants scattered around :)

I'll add some piccys when done

as said mate, advice is always welcome :thumbsup:

Back