Aquarium Substrate

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to move from gravel to sand, is this hard work ?
Ive read the sand has to be super clean as it can make the water cloudy and as it passes through the filter the water can become frothy

anyone use sand ? and know the best way to clean it

:)
thanks

@Rat Sand is a much better substrate.

I use one of these while doing a water change :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Aqu...9?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4856f8f8eb

Back onto the sand...

sand will also help clean your tank as the bacteria inside it will also help eat crap (to put it blunt lol), that does not mean that you can overfeed as even though sand is a natural filter (so to speak), it will also become a nitrate factory if not stirred and cleaned regular or the bacteria cannot handle the feeding.

The thing with sand and I cannot speak about fresh water as I do not know, but you should see what type of creatures will sift the sand without eating the good bacteria...

It will be cloudy the first time you introduce it mate... that is natural, it will also settle down.

You may get a small spike in nitrate (hopefully not nitrite and ammonia) when you introduce a new bacteria source, so do it slowly, and if you can ask your fish shop for a cup of their sand (as long as the tanks are clean of course and you trust them!!!) to help the bacteria settle down and kick off the cycle stages.

Clean your sand once a week by stirring it which will also help your filter catch any crap that has not been cycled.

if you put a little in at a time over a day it will help with the cloudy tank syndrome.

Mick

Last edited:
i've used play sand in my fresh water tanks for a couple of years now with no probs, when i do water changes i put the hose in the sand when i refill to dislodge any crap and gas that can build up.

to clean it before you put it into your tank, i would put a small amount in a bucket in your bath and let the water over flow from the bucket

Last edited:
Any sand will be better than Gravel lol ;)

However for the best Denitrifying action you want sand with the smallest surface area, this will help because it will have much more area for the bacteria to colonise :)

Try oolite Sugar fine sand for the best results... but play sand will be fine too :)

Mick

Thanks for the advice :)

I dont mind paying a little extra if needed as its something that lasts that may only need topping up :)

will certainly look into this sooner rather than later :)

Im assuming its best to remove the fish from the tank while I do this change to sand

how long before I can put the fish back would you say ?

@Rat No you can leave the fish in mate, you will do more harm taking them out and stressing them!

do it really slowly, take all the gravel out.

Then over the course of a day put a little sand in at a time.

What size is your tank?

Mick

Last edited:
125 litre :)
ahh thats good as Ive only got a small spare tank that I use to quarantine if needed

cheers Mick :)

Best thing to do is take a cup put the sand in the cup, then put the cup in slowly to the bottom and tip it out while at the bottom.

Did you clean the sand in your water change water?

It will be cloudy mate, can take a day or two to settle down depending how fine the sand is, and your filter will go into overdrive.

I have 1000 litres and have changed my sand in the past, and it was cloudy for a 2-3 days all fish was fine mate.

Mick

Im looking to get it this weekend mate, asking the questions now so I kinda know what Im doing lol
:)
there are 2 shops that have given me good advice in the past so will pop in 1 of them today or tomorrow to see what sand they have :)
thanks @Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Tropical mate

Sent from my iPhone

ok, I'm not 100% certain about tropical as I've been keeping marine for the past 5 years and left tropical behind. As already stated though I would thoroughly rinse the sand before putting it in your tank and go slowly. As with all aquariums, patience is key. In regards to the sand denitrifying it need to be a minimum of 4 inches to be very effective so anything between 1 and 4 inches would be unnecessary (certainly in marine aquariums) HTH

ok, I'm not 100% certain about tropical as I've been keeping marine for the past 5 years and left tropical behind. As already stated though I would thoroughly rinse the sand before putting it in your tank and go slowly. As with all aquariums, patience is key. In regards to the sand denitrifying it need to be a minimum of 4 inches to be very effective so anything between 1 and 4 inches would be unnecessary (certainly in marine aquariums) HTH

I think the anything above 4" is a bit off a myth to be fair,

I have read articles saying that 1" is much more benificial than 5" beds???

I do however have a 6" deep sand bed that keeps my marine tank phosphate completely zero well untraceable ;)

in My opinion any sand will have a denitrifying effect because of the grain size and amount of denitrifying bacteria that can colonise, certain bacteria itself is denitrifying, just more is helpful.

But I am sure Rat is not after the anabolic or aerobic areas which is where the real magic happens so to speak... also the deep sand bed houses all sorts of copods etc and my copperband loves them ;)

Sand works like any part of the fish tank, it looks nice and will 100% be more beneficial than gravel.

I think it is an aesthetic thing for Rat anyway ;)

Mick

I found some today £22 for 25kg

can someone good at math work out how many inches that will give me lol

Aquarium size: 81 x 36 x 50cm / 31.9" x 14.2" x 19.7" (L x D x H)

I have read loads of people on aquarium forums use play sand too

I'll think about it lol tbh Im sure its just as good if not the same as the dear stuff aquarium shops sell

I found some today £22 for 25kg

can someone good at math work out how many inches that will give me lol

Aquarium size: 81 x 36 x 50cm / 31.9" x 14.2" x 19.7" (L x D x H)

For fine sand, you will get;

1.0" with 14.7 kgs
1.5" with 22 kgs
1.7" with 25 kgs
2.0" with 29.4 kgs
3.0" with 44 kgs
4.0" with 58.7 kgs

nice one mate :) thanks

Back