Apple Mac external LACIE caddie question

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend has a LACIE Mac 2.5 Raid 2 x 2tb external hard drive that's not powering up. They took it to a shop and they said it's not powering so I said let me have a look. I took out the 2 x 2.5 hard drives out and dropped them in my hard drive hotswap caddie on Windows. Both powered but up fine so I am taking it that the caddies knackered. They want to recover the files

I am not Mac converse what so ever so were can I buy a Mac 2 x raid external hard drive caddie ?.

Last edited:
cant you just loan the hotswap caddy to them to back up there files with the mac
but any twin usb caddy should work as long as it got raid function

A friend has a LACIE Mac 2.5 Raid 2 x 2tb external hard drive that's not powering up. They took it to a shop and they said it's not powering so I said let me have a look. I took out the 2 x 2.5 hard drives out and dropped them in my hard drive hotswap caddie on Windows. Both powered but up fine so I am taking it that the caddies knackered. They want to recover the files

I am not Mac converse what so ever so were can I buy a Mac 2 x raid external hard drive caddie ?.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/4-Bay-Thunderbolt-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B07116PMPD?th=1

Something like that you're after?

When you say they want the files recovered, they should still be present within the drive. Windows/Mac use a different file system, so you should be able to recover the files using windows, just not read them properly due to file system. To do a recovery you normally need 2x the HDD space you're trying to recover.

I'm not sure Janobi, I'm not converse with apple macs and raid, I've never used either. I plugged each one separate into my hot swap caddy and both drives show in disk management but both were asking to be initiatised. Unallocated due to a different filing system.
I'm not sure about that drive caddy in your link.

So if I buy say a normal sata 2.5 caddy and put the hard drives in 1 at a time what cable do I need from the caddy to a mac ?.
The one with the original caddy is built in.

My hotswap caddy uses a usb printer type cable with the square end to usb.
For me to connect my hotswap caddy to a macbook what cable would I need for the caddy to macbook?.

The way the disk is setup you cant see it in windows as i remember, just get an external hardrive box, slip one drive at a time inside and connect it up to the mac. Then just copy the files or use the drive as it is. You can do the same using a new caddy ofcourse. The last option is to attatch it to your windows computer, Boot from your acroanis disk you made and format the drive in either a mac format or a windows format. Either option you take will result in a usable drive.

If you leave it in the external box you can ofcourse use it as an external drive for the mac. Or as a windows drive. The drive is exactly the same.
My thoughts

Tbh I wouldn't have a scoobies what connections a mac has on its side. I'll get him bring his mac here see what happens.

In my windows PC it says that one of the drives is unallocated so I used a program that can detect HFS+ mac files and it says no files found. I'm thinking either this has something to do with raid or the hard drive caddy screwed up and the 2 raid drives lost their partitions. I've recovered 115GB of files from one yest to do the other.

I've recovered tonnes of data from both drives separately in my hotswap caddy then took the knavkered caddy to a pc store who's pretty good, basically both drives are working it's the caddy that's dead.

The repair guy said for what I'll charge you in repairs to the caddy your better just finding a raid x2 hard drive caddy and replacing the dead one.
I've looked and I can't find a replacement 2.5 raid caddy. Does anyone know were I can buy one or you might have one to sell ?.

not 100% sure but the second one looks ok but would I trust my data to a cheap raid controller , why not go for a full size NAS the 2.5 sata drives will still fit and give then room for upgrading drives cheap and network access

Question,
So I've got about 3tb of recovered files now on a 4tb NTFS external hard drive. When I go to play any of the videos back it say unable to play back.
Would this be because there all corrupt or because the actual recovered file was written on a mac HFS+ so therefore wont play back on a windows hard drive ?.
Also,
If I put one of the hard drives into a standard 2.5 caddy would and attach it to a mac would the files appear ?

what file extention have the files got . will it play in itunes

yes as said use your hot swap caddy on the mac to read the hd

He took the hard drives and tried one in a 2.5 caddie but he reckons no files are showing. The problem is, I'm trying to recover on windows files that were written on a mac. I think he need to try and recover at his end.

Has anyone got a decent data recovery program for mac ?, something he can install and try on his mac.

Back