App controlled heating and smart plugs

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
I would like to adopt a few smart devices. Firstly I would like to control my heating on my phone. I have a 4 zone heating programmer, with basic thermostats for downstairs, upstairs, hot water and detached summer house. What would be best so i can control zones and timers and temperature from my iPhone?

I also need a smart plug for outdoor christmas tree lights, they are powered in the attic and want a wifi plug so i can turn on/off from my phone. Although i can only seem to find wifi plugs, the wifi is poor in the attic but i do have an ethernet switch in attic but can't seem to find any of these smart plugs that have ethernet...

The only thing i can think of doing is adding a wireless access pointing the attic and then connecting wifi smart plug to it but surely must be a simpler way...

A cheaper option should be just to use a remote control power switch in the attic and would save you a lot of money and hassle.
As for the heating control I don’t have much experience but I do know it’s dammed expensive and Hive seems to be a choice many go for.

just went looking for a wired smart socket to link to. i cant find any for some reason.

i was nearly sure there was wired smart sockets on aliexpress but they seem to be all gone, but they have wired smart light switches which is strange.

i use the orvibo smart wifi sockets for the electric rads in my place and i must say they are brilliant compared to the analog timers i had on them before, which never turned on at the correct time.

i can control the plugs anywhere as long as im connected to the internet. i never have to worry about leaving them on again

I use Honeywell evo system very flexible and you can have up to 9 zones. Controls well from smartphone alexa ect

My wifi in 2 floors down from the router, but my TPLink wifi socket works fine. I don't think it needs much signal, as long as it's there. :)

just went looking for a wired smart socket to link to. i cant find any for some reason.

i was nearly sure there was wired smart sockets on aliexpress but they seem to be all gone, but they have wired smart light switches which is strange.

i use the orvibo smart wifi sockets for the electric rads in my place and i must say they are brilliant compared to the analog timers i had on them before, which never turned on at the correct time.

i can control the plugs anywhere as long as im connected to the internet. i never have to worry about leaving them on again
Is it this your after or do I have wrong kit?

I bought the Salus iT500 last year second hand for £40 off eBay works a treat with smart phone..But I think it can only control two zone with the added iT300.

Check out the mag I sent You @Bk456 hope it helps. I've also put it in ebooks if anyone wants it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea the plug maybe will reach, my broadband is only at the bottom of the stairs. Anyway, i used a second bt router to act as an access point in my summer house which is some job so i could just do the same for attic if needs be. I might even do one for upstairs so that wifi is better and just connect to the upstairs access point...

What i do is, use poweline adapters to get 2 floors down, then connect one to another router, then use the wifi ssid off that router. :)

I think heat miser looks to be a good system. Although i have an issue with my summer house, the electrician forgot to put a thermostat in the summerhouse and thus has to be turned on at the utility room timer in the house.

So how would i get round this?

Energenie do a 4 way power strip that you can control over ethernet (they also do one with USB control) but it's not cheap, it's gonna be cheaper to just get an access point, around £15 or less on Amazon.

Back