aol silver

CASTLE

Inactive User
Reaction score
can anyone tell me if i put another adsl modem in another socket can i use them both at the same time or is this not possible

castle:lsabre:

Castle m8, Er..no you can't do that, it won't work. You can only use one dsl modem on a telephone line.
If you want to share your internet connection between a couple of computers, best simple way is to network the two pc's together and share the internet connection from the machine which is currently connected to the outside world.
There are several ways to achieve this, have either of your machines got a network adapter fitted already? If they both have wired adapters you can just purchase a cross-over network cable plug in and configure, hey presto....
You could go wireless if you want...more questions later, see what you've got first...

Have fun

just thoight i would ask as aol silver is a tricky one to share and i would also need a different modem, never mind will sort it later and thanks for the info.

castle

i am on aol and have used a belkin wireless modem router after a bit of messing about i managed to get it up and running any modem router will work with aol they just wont provide support with setting up if not one of there recommended ones m8

RE Network on aol silver

Hi i was hoping to install a wireless network on aol silver and was told that it was not supported, and that i would have to upgrade to gold, if i were to buy a router plug in load software would it work ok on the current line thanks Gary.

Gazzer, what they mean by 'not supported' is you can't ring AOL for help when you get stuck..but hey, that's what DW's for -)lol..They like you to pay more money for connecting more machines...

You should be able to set-up a router, Doobie's done it with AOL so you should be able to figure it out, if not ask away :)

re support

Thanks lone gunman i thought you should be able to,will buy a router lets see how it goes thanks for advice, Regards Gary.:Cheers:

the reason AOL do not support networking on the silver package is because you can not have multiple logins, ie if you sign on one pc with a screen name on your account then sign on another pc with the same screen name or a screen name thats related to your account it will sign the first one off

this does not mean it wont work on silver because it does work perfectly fine it just means you can only be signed on AOL on 1 pc at any giving time and if you want to access the net on any other pc`s you just need to use an external browser like IE or Firefox

to be honast if you get a router and you use AOL you best bet is to uninstall all the AOL software and just use external browsers as the program itself hogs all your resources and can be very buggy at times

I suppose it is down to personal choice as well

you may also be advised that only certain makes and models of routers will work with AOL which is not true, if your AOL connection is through a BT line than any ADSL router with a built in modem will work fine (as the normal ADSL routers AOL supply do not have ethernet ports so you need one with a built in modem). if your AOL connection is through the NTL cable line then all you need is a cable router which you connect to your existing modem then connect the router to the pc (note this does not need a built in modem)

hope this helps

techno macca :Cheers:

i feel happy after reading this thread that it is possible to do wireless networking on aol silver and running aol without its crap aol software i hate it to be honest with you .
can any1 tell me how it is possible?

Back