AOL - Amibt 200

neorage

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks identical to an NTL:200 modem on the outise.. yet to open it up..

is it hackable to run on the VM network..

uses a cable feed as well..

??

Bil

the internals are the same... as well

also can i use a std JTAG (used for the STB'S) to reprogam theses ?? as i dont have a max 323 as of yet..

many thanks

Yes these are exactly the same as NTL 200's. The bonus is that the firmware probably won't have been upgraded either as AOL don't seem to do that, so you probably won't need to downgrade the firmware to change the mac.

also can i use a std JTAG (used for the STB'S) to reprogam theses ?? as i dont have a max 323 as of yet..

many thanks

yes mate, as last guy says, the aol 200 is same as ntl 200, you can hack it just fine, its same as iam using just now.

many thanks

You can do these exactly the same as they are still Ambit 200's despite any logo you find outside of them ;)

As for standard JTAG they don't work with the 200's unless the small (think it was the 102 resistor?) is built into the cable or soldered to the Ambit's mainboard. Your better off getting hold of a MAX232 cable, MUCH easier for the Ambit 200 ;)

:)

many thanks

m8 a std JTAG (used for the STB'S) you CANNOT use one of these to jtag a modem.

it has to be a Max232/233 or a blackcat jtag cable

if you need any more info please ask away mate.

m8 a std JTAG (used for the STB'S) you CANNOT use one of these to jtag a modem.

it has to be a Max232/233 or a blackcat jtag cable

if you need any more info please ask away mate.

ahhh so ya can use an rs232 to jtag a modem, i didnt know that ?? :)

yea mate the 232/233 can be used to flash the firmware onto All modems.

ohh good :), i dont need to make/buy a blackcat, bloody good, ya learn summit new every day :), so is that for sure then mate, rs232 will jtag an ambit ?? sorry for double checking, lol, iam just surprised.. and does it just use the normal rs232 connection or does the wires go elsewhere.

ohh good :), i dont need to make/buy a blackcat, bloody good, ya learn summit new every day :), so is that for sure then mate, rs232 will jtag an ambit ?? sorry for double checking, lol, iam just surprised.. and does it just use the normal rs232 connection or does the wires go elsewhere.
no m8 u need a max 232/233 jtag and a m/f db9 rs232 lead to do a 250 ambit

I think everybodies gettin a bit confused here. You can only use a Max cable to connect to an Ambit 250, this also applies to the 120 & 200, although it's not a JTAG it's a serial interface, but you get the jist. Read the tut in the Haynes or get the guide elsewhere it'll be on the forum somewhere.

As cableguy69 said you can't JTAG with a MAX cable.

And as I said in post #5 you can't even use a standard Blackcat JTAG on the Ambit 200's as they don't have the necesarry resistor on the board to do the flash. You either have to implement the resistor into the Blackcat cable or solder it to the board. And it's not for the faint of heart as the resistor is very VERY small and has 4 pins on each side.

Your better off just doing the 200's the 'hard way' if you can't risk trying the web update, although I wouldn't personally call it hard.

As cableguy69 said you can't JTAG with a MAX cable.

And as I said in post #5 you can't even use a standard Blackcat JTAG on the Ambit 200's as they don't have the necesarry resistor on the board to do the flash. You either have to implement the resistor into the Blackcat cable or solder it to the board. And it's not for the faint of heart as the resistor is very VERY small and has 4 pins on each side.

Your better off just doing the 200's the 'hard way' if you can't risk trying the web update, although I wouldn't personally call it hard.

you dont have to use the 102 smd resistor on the ambit200 , just leave it off and put a 1k resistor inline on pins9 & pin1 , but dont forget the 33ohms.

33ohms?

:confused:

I always get things mixed up when electronic components are discussed....lol I can build the cable's and do the soldering but when peeps start talking ohms etc my brain just says "what the hells a jiggawatt" lol

Back