Anyone recommend a CCTV system?

maplins do a good 4channel dvs with cameras (NV) for bout 2-400 ish iirc.

wireless systems are not wireless...they still need plugging into power !
and interfere with yer home wifi network !
Get fully wired systems they much better ..

we got one from maplins at 299 quid with four cams and 320gigg HD !Plus Lan connection , so u can check yer cams on your moblie phone or laptop anywhere in the world !
Its really brilliant quality and totally personalised to suit..loads of settings .Easy to setup !
You will not be dissappointed with them if u purchased them .

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=392998

We got a system from Makro for around £260. It has 4 completely weather proof cameras which are wired with 20 meters of wire each, and night vision. 1 Controller box with all the usual scanning, split screen motion alarm. The box doesnt record but you can connect it to a dvd recorder or VHS and it will stop & start the recording automatically.

I have it connected to a pc for online viewing. So we can see out cats & chickens.

This is the one from a different store. - http://www.toolbox.co.uk/byron-byrcs74q-cs74q-colour-5131-90795

It's the top left in this lot - Untitled 1

Last edited:
If anyone wants anything from maplins in the essex area pm me.

I work and get anything up to 30% discount.

Jama

its for a house 3/4 cameras outside, night vision and possibly wireless.
make sure where ever you get your dvr from it comes with a hard drive i know a friend who bought a dvr for £130 and then had to buy a hard drive for £50 so just make sure you double check m8.
cop is a good place to check and maplins

ive had a couple of systems from maplins i thought the quality was pretty crap, but thats just me, and one of those was faulty, i built my own out of IP cameras from deal extreme, very cheap, qualitys not brilliant, but show me any system sub 1000 pound that its police quality and i`ll buy 5, but for keeping an eye on local yobboes and when where on holiday, its brill.

Ended up building one:

Old ibm P4 Thinkcentre, 500gb HD, 2GB ram
Ubuntu 10.04 + Zoneminder
2 x ccd cams (weatherproof) with 25m night vision off ebay
2 x 10m RG59+2 cables off ebay
4 x BNC crimpy things ebay
4 port PCI CTTV card - dealxtreme

came to about £100 for parts.

works a treat!

zoneminder is excellent and gonna add a wireless or IP camera to front of house.

Last edited:
cool , i`m no linux god but i do like a dabble, how easy was zoneminder to setup? gonna have a looky into this now, i have some thin clients knocking about which will be excellant for this sort of thing, really small, low power , ive modded them both so they can have hdds put in em........

cheers

cool , i`m no linux god but i do like a dabble, how easy was zoneminder to setup? gonna have a looky into this now, i have some thin clients knocking about which will be excellant for this sort of thing, really small, low power , ive modded them both so they can have hdds put in em........

cheers

I aint too cleaver at Linux, but a lot better after this little project.

what are they wyse boxes?

anyway, zoneminder really easy to install, since it's a synaptec package and installs all the dependencies for you and used this guide.

If you need any help let us know, hardest bit was getting the cameras to work, but all's i needed was to insert a missing .conf file.

no no, not wyse ones, couple of HP clients, 1ghz processors, 256 ram and now external ide ports for storage.

wonder if it supports IP cameras, anyways off to beddys now, speak tomorrow

cheers

Hi mate,

I need some help regarding building zoneminder box with linux.

Can you please guide me below mentioned card can work with zonemider or not?

NEW DESIGN, CCTV DIGITAL SURVEILLANCE DVR CARD BNC GOLD - eBay, Other Security Systems, Security Systems, Electronics. (end time 15-Oct-10 19:23:38 AEDST)

Thanks in advande.

Paresh
Adelaide, Australia.

Ended up building one:

Old ibm P4 Thinkcentre, 500gb HD, 2GB ram
Ubuntu 10.04 + Zoneminder
2 x ccd cams (weatherproof) with 25m night vision off ebay
2 x 10m RG59+2 cables off ebay
4 x BNC crimpy things ebay
4 port PCI CTTV card - dealxtreme

came to about £100 for parts.

works a treat!

zoneminder is excellent and gonna add a wireless or IP camera to front of house.

Hi mate,

I need some help regarding building zoneminder box with linux.

Can you please guide me below mentioned card can work with zonemider or not?

NEW DESIGN, CCTV DIGITAL SURVEILLANCE DVR CARD BNC GOLD - eBay, Other Security Systems, Security Systems, Electronics. (end time 15-Oct-10 19:23:38 AEDST)

Thanks in advande.

Paresh
Adelaide, Australia.

You might be better off asking zoneminder,

ZoneMinder: Linux Home CCTV and Video Camera Security with Motion Detection

Anyone know of any reasonable indoor ip cams with built in DVR (sd slot maybe). Like the idea of having one in the top bedroom window looking at the front, but not fussed about having a computer on 24/7.

Just looking for a 1 camera system: wireless, night vision, and motion detection record.

when i set up my system i stayed with windows

win xp pro on an old compaq evo p4 2.4G with 1.5g mem and 2x80G hdd

Cameras are Y-cam Knight night vision ip cameras (wired and wireless) I have 2 wired and 1 wireless as its in a tricky spot. I didn't use their software as its very poor, ok if you monitoring but to review recorded data is slow and very time consuming.

Wireless IP Camera | Home Security CCTV Cameras | Wireless Security Surveillance Network Camera | Y-cam Solutions

using go1984 software it really is the dogz reviewing is a breeze and there are a million things you can setup for. you can setup to check cameras remotely from a pc / iphone etc.

go1984 site seems down atm but a review and 30 trial software here http://www.intellinet-network.com/en-US/products/8590

@madeinbeats have a look at y-cam sd cameras Y-cam | Wireless Internet Video Cameras and IP Camera Range | Y-cam Knight, Y-cam Black, Y-cam White SD

Last edited:
Back