anyone reccommend a good mp3 player not ipod

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
i could not be bothered with fecking itunes etc but just drag and drop mp3 whats a good player

I just bought a Creative Labs Zen from Argos last week for £99

Very impressed with it so far.

It plays MP3's straight from the PC without converting.
Also plays movies. Conversion takes a while, but I managed to reduce Kung Fu Panda from 960Mb down to 275Mb
Also has a radio.
Picture viewer with slideshow function.

The supplied software is crap, but I use MediaMonkey to transfer stuff.

& because it's not an IPod, you don't go round in circles trying to select your tracks :)

Button's are intuitive.

Also has a slot for an expansion card, so memory can be increased by throwing in an SD card.

2.5in screen.
Stores up to 4,000 MP3/8,000 WMA tracks.
25 hours playback.
DRM 10 compatible.
5 hours video playback.
Rechargeable via AC/DC adaptor (not supplied).
Rechargeable via USB port.
Size (H)5.5, (W)8.3, (D)1.2cm.
Colour LCD display.
2.0 USB port.
Portable solid state with HDD slot.
16GB memory.
MP3/WMA compatible.
Repeat, play functions.
Tuner with 32 station presets.
USB cable supplied.
Software supplied.
Works as a removable drive, alarm, radio, photo and video player. Voice recording functions.
In ear headphones supplied.
Rechargeable battery.

Depends on how much you are looking to spend...

I have the Archos Gmini 402 and it just acts as a 20gb hard drive....you just drag and drop your media onto it.

but there are a lot of cheaper ones that will do the same.

My mates got a creative mp3 and mp4 player had no problems with it and it seems easy to use etc.

i have a sandisk 8 gig plays video,photo's,record as well very handy to use

i could not be bothered with fecking itunes etc but just drag and drop mp3 whats a good player

I know you said not iPod but you don't have to use iTunes, I also hate iTunes with a passion, but if you put an iPod into disk mode you can just drap and drop mp3's onto it.

I just bagged the Samsung (one I posted earlier), reviews are real good for this. Bluetooth enabled as well.

This is the one, though obviously the item I bid for has gone. They seem to have loads of these. I got it for £25.51 plus P&P, so that s £30.50. I dont think that is too bad considering how well it seems to be.
I gave myself a limit of max 25-26 quid. I got it within that range (bar P&P of course!)

with it being bluetooth enabled...can u use bluetooth headfones or is it only for transferring songs?

with it being bluetooth enabled...can u use bluetooth headfones or is it only for transferring songs?

No idea, I just won the auction today and away from home this week so wont get my hands on it until the weekend. I have a bluetooth headset plus the bluetooh big stick that was selling in play.com for a fiver. I will see what I can do with it.

Right got both mp4 players and both are good but I am leaning towards the stage one from eBuyer.

The Samsung is good quality, bearing in mind this is the first time Ive got myself a decent player. The player is small and thin and looks more like a mobile phone! The screen is small, probably too small for my liking but others may be used to small screens.
The navigation is very easy, has radio and games. Also has eBooks (viewing txt files) and photo viewer.
The bluetooth on it enables you to connect to your phone and use it to answer and make calls with. It has a built in mike. I also transferred songs from my moby so no doubt file transfer should work on other things. Other bluetooth option was connect to stereo headset.

One thing I didnt like was the connector to the player was not usb, it was its own connector. It means your screwed if you lose/break it. It will cost some to get a replacement.

The s/w that came with it is fairly straightforward to use but is very slow at converting movies. And th e format is plays is SVI. Also when connected by USB, I could not use it within explorer.

Now regarding the stage player, Im really impressed with that. It has a nice big screen, quality of pic is great. Also has a speaker though not very loud. Has a mike has well to record your own stuff, ebook, photo etc. It connects by mini usb. The moto w377 phone charger I have is also mini usb and that works fine! This player comes with a plug anyway, one which you connect your usb device in. Just my luck as last month I bought one of these from play.com for a fiver! But this player is bigger.

Can simply drag and drop files using explorer, comes with AVI converting software which is reasonaly quick. It looks more like a small ipod classic, certainly the headphones look similar and the back casing is metal.

My only problem is my daughter has claimed it and so Im stuck with the Samsung. As Im not too keen on it, I have packaged it up and will give it to my neice :)

I probably would of liked the Samsung had I not got the stage one.

Also remember, Samsung is quality (well usually) but Stage player is generic chinese probably.

Linky here to stage player

My recommendation for a cheap but great player is the stage. I got it for £21.99 but thats cos I had free delivery due to spending over 50 notes.

I've got a creative zen and its great I took it to mexico it had all my tunes and about 15 movies on it and it comes with a av connector so yo can plug it into a tv or sound system.

I've also got a sandisk Express & E250 and both are excellent but are only 2gig in each but both are expandable via MicroSD.

My wife has a sony that she got really cheap out of Tesco because the price was marked wrong on it and they had to give her it at the price that it was labelled at but although its not bad the other players are better.

MP3 players are all more or less equal these days.

The only ones I tend to dodge are the iPods and cheap Chinese (eBay) imports.

Apple may have made it big business but many others have now taken over with far better quality players for much less dollar, I'm afraid with Apple, it's the name you are buying.

Back