Anyone know a stable image for the twin these days???

slyboxhd

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hello
All

Im looking a stable image pref not vix Because with the vix images i cant add my splash :(
Im using openatv on the nano etc and they run 100% So thought id put a open atv onto the twin ( its my main tv )
open atv 4.2 has more bugs than im a so called celebrity!
its a bit like that with the nano but no where near as bad,
so with it i us open atv 4.1 witch is 100% :)
But on the twin i can only have either the cams working or the cross EPG??
Ie if i load the cam first it will run ok and if i then load cross EPG the EPG wont work??
And vice versa??
All other part's will work 100%
Iv been working at this for about a week now, can anyone point me where im going wrong?
If so i can give more info, im though most things i know and think its a image prob??
Thanks in advance for any help :)

The initial bootup screen is independent of image. You can also change the backdrop.mvi on all images.

Your options are limited with TMs if you do not want to use OpenATV or OpenVix. Use the 4D image. They are all stable. Only issue they have at the moment is that new kernel jitters on playback of recordings made using older kernel. I suspect OP'sissue is a case of configuration error rather than image. Or maybe a faulty unit.

Note:
CrossEPG Downloader = Downloads EPG
Image EPG function = Displays EPG
EPG display plugins such as Coolmans EPG = Also displays EPG
On a single tuner receiver, Cross EPG Downloader will always cut out the tuner to download EPG data from the satellite in case of OpenTV EPG data. A twin tuner will use second tuner when avilable so as not to interrupt the user. It is important that tuner config matches what is actually connected to it.

Perhaps a breakdown of settings being used would be a better way to resolve the EPG issue.

Last edited:
Ask @digidude.
Hello
manic01

thanks for the help :)
Ill give him a bell

The initial bootup screen is independent of image. You can also change the backdrop.mvi on all images.

Your options are limited with TMs if you do not want to use OpenATV or OpenVix. Use the 4D image. They are all stable. Only issue they have at the moment is that new kernel jitters on playback of recordings made using older kernel. I suspect OP'sissue is a case of configuration error rather than image. Or maybe a faulty unit.

Note:
CrossEPG Downloader = Downloads EPG
Image EPG function = Displays EPG
EPG display plugins such as Coolmans EPG = Also displays EPG
On a single tuner receiver, Cross EPG Downloader will always cut out the tuner to download EPG data from the satellite in case of OpenTV EPG data. A twin tuner will use second tuner when avilable so as not to interrupt the user. It is important that tuner config matches what is actually connected to it.

Perhaps a breakdown of settings being used would be a better way to resolve the EPG issue.

Hello
Abu

thanks very much for you help with this,
I thought that it might be something added to the image like say coolman's epg or the skin etc,
I have try'd using only the settings on both vix and open atv images apart from adding either the cross epg or the cam
and for some reason both will work ok with either the cam or the cross epg on there own and
when the two are running together only the one that is added first will work???
I hope its not a problem with the cpu as its close to christmass and i dont know if i could get it back in time,
Also the box has ran fine for me for over 3 years now,
The only thing that i know iv done wrong is that when i was uploading the new image for the first time ( for this image update witch was only 2 weeks ago )
I hit exit repeatability for 15sec's like you used to have to do with older images,
Iv done a factory reset and then flashed the box with each image twise after doing the exit bit
Is that where i have went wrong?
With all other image loadings i just let the box boot as normal,
Also i would always do a deep standbuy after loading a new image, then use restart gui after any addons and when iv got the image as i like it with all plugins etc i would then do a other deep standbuy-
( When i thought it was working?)
But as i say with only the said addon's they wont work togehter???
Wot is the best way of bringing the box back to factory?
Thanks again Guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
manic01

thanks for the help :)
Ill give him a bell
Hello
Abu

thanks very much for you help with this,
Thanks again Guys :)

MY BAD DUBBLE POST :(

Last edited:
Break your issues down and deal with them one by one.

With regards to downloading EPG data from satellite. (Please do not discuss displaying EPG until downloading EPG is resolved)

I am assuming you are using OpenTV EPG source only. i.e downloading from the satellite. Please clarify if this is a wrong assumption.

What dish/lnb/diseqc switch/motor is connected to each tuner of your receiver? (Separate answer for each tuner please)
What is each tuner configured as? (Separate answer for each tuner please)
What errors/issues do you get when downloading epg from satellite?
Have you removed the default Cross EPG downloader and replaced it?

With regards to downloading EPG data from satellite. (Please do not discuss displaying EPG until downloading EPG is resolved)

I am assuming you are using OpenTV EPG source only. i.e downloading from the satellite. Please clarify if this is a wrong assumption.

What dish/lnb/diseqc switch/motor is connected to each tuner of your receiver? (Separate answer for each tuner please)

Hello
Abu

Yes i am using opentv source only, it is set to download each day at 4.00 the hhd is also set and initialistion done on hdd,
the tunner config is ( tunner1 = sipmle/single/astra 2a,2c,2e,2f,Eutlsat 28A (28.2E) send DiSEqC - NO )
( tunner2 = sipmle/single/astra 2a,2c,2e,2f,Eutlsat 28A (28.2E) send DiSEqC - NO )
its on a fixed 80cm triax dish with a quad lnb ( i have tested the dish and all is good to the f connections going into the box )
the funny thing is that there is no errors that showing when iv added the crossepg after installing the cam??
There isnt even anything in the log's?
wot will happen is that the epg wont open as if it is not there?
i was unawear that there was crossepg on any of the images iv used, ie open atv open vix?
Also i have try'd different hdd and try'd using a external hdd with the same problem
and on each hdd i can find the epg data
wot i do is when the crossepg is setup i go to download now and it loads all as it should? but as i say it wont show when trying to use EPG button or when you press up or down on the remote??
i have try'd different hdd and also used external hdd and can find the epg data in each of the hhd's??

Last edited:
Info, no action required: CrossEPG Downloader is included in Openvix image as standard. You have to install it on openATV images.

Can we just remain on topic and resolve the downloading of EPG issue? Discussing other matters (which may be relevant later) confuses things. Please do not even discuss displaying of EPG until the downloading of EPG, then saving EPG is confirmed to be fine.

I would be grateful if you could confine your response to the questions asked.
1. What are your EPG Settings in EPG menu.? I have attached screenshots as a guide.

2. Does the storage device in Cross EPG downloader match the one selected in your EPG settings?

3. Start a recording, remain on the same channel. Manually initiate Cross EPG downloader (this should download the EPG data from the satellite). Does it download succesfully? (You had a question mark on your sentence and we need to establish whether it downloads succesfully or not.)

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 2
delete EVERY instance of epg.dat that you can find, look on the root of the HDD, on any connected usb sticks, look in usr/share look in etc/ and also check the root of the receiver

Info, no action required: CrossEPG Downloader is included in Openvix image as standard. You have to install it on openATV images.

Can we just remain on topic and resolve the downloading of EPG issue? Discussing other matters (which may be relevant later) confuses things. Please do not even discuss displaying of EPG until the downloading of EPG, then saving EPG is confirmed to be fine.

I would be grateful if you could confine your response to the questions asked.
1. What are your EPG Settings in EPG menu.? I have attached screenshots as a guide.

2. Does the storage device in Cross EPG downloader match the one selected in your EPG settings?

3. Start a recording, remain on the same channel. Manually initiate Cross EPG downloader (this should download the EPG data from the satellite). Does it download succesfully? (You had a question mark on your sentence and we need to establish whether it downloads succesfully or not.)
Hello
Abu

Thanks very much for your help with this,
I could't find any problem with the epg or the cam, sorry for going off topic But i found the problem to be with the way that i was loading the image, Thanks again for all your help :)

delete EVERY instance of epg.dat that you can find, look on the root of the HDD, on any connected usb sticks, look in usr/share look in etc/ and also check the root of the receiver

Hello
Digi

Thanks very much for your help with this, Iv try'd wot you say about deleteing all from the hdd incase its being loaded etc with no joy, i found that the problem i was having was with the way i was loading-seting up the image,
i was being lazy and using the setup wizzard to setup the tunners witch was loading the defalut channel list witch would not remove when i had installed rats channel list???

This was a very weird one as the only way i got it sorted was to load the image and skip the wizzard then setup the tunners and then scan the sat, load rats channel updater/ run it then do a deep stand buy and all is good :)
For some reason way past my understanding the default channel list was doing very funny things to my box???
Wheater it was something i had on the box prev or not i dont know, i had jtaged the box so you would think that that would't be the case???
although i had a felling there was something still there???
As with rats channel updater and when rats was down i used a other autoupdater ( not as good IMO ) and also loaded a set list, with all this still the default one remained? not to mention that after a full scan set to delete still could not get rid of it? Also iv never seen the default channel list load on the nano/singal/twin if you skip the setup wizzard???

If anyone ever comes to find that they are having the same or similar try this method, it might save your sanity?
Load the image and skip the wizzard then setup the tunners and then scan the sat, load rats channel updater ( or any one of your choice )/ run it then do a deep standbuy and hopefully your free :)
Hope this Helps :):):)

i use the wizard and manually set the tuners, instead of using the 'auto' option, i then skip scanning and run ABM, with no problems

Hello
Digi

I think the openatv image ant best suited for the twin, its all working now but is a bit slow, Im going to try the latest 4d image and see how it run's?
Wot image do you use on the twin?
Ill let you know how it go's?
Thanks again for the help :)

Hello
Digi

I think the openatv image ant best suited for the twin, its all working now but is a bit slow, Im going to try the latest 4d image and see how it run's?
Wot image do you use on the twin?
Ill let you know how it go's?
Thanks again for the help :)

Hello
Again

The latest 4d image is much better all working 100% :)
My advice to any one with a twin would be to use 4d image only!
Hope this helps :)

Back