Anyone ever used a PAYG Credit Card?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
I don't have a credit card as I don't trust myself, I'd fill my house with a shitload of toys that I can't afford :)

All I hhave is a lowly Debit Card but as we all know there are loads of places that don't accept Debit Cards, so I was tempted to apply for a Credit Card. Then I noticed these PAYG Credit Cards, they seem like a good alternative to me.

I've just signed up for a Virgiin PAYG card, they charge 2.75% on all purchases, there is no monthly fee and it's free to add credit to the card if I do it online or through a post office.

So if I spend £100 they'll only charge me £2.75 in fees, seems a good deal if u ask me.

I don't have a credit card as I don't trust myself, I'd fill my house with a shitload of toys that I can't afford :)

All I hhave is a lowly Debit Card but as we all know there are loads of places that don't accept Debit Cards, so I was tempted to apply for a Credit Card. Then I noticed these PAYG Credit Cards, they seem like a good alternative to me.

I've just signed up for a Virgiin PAYG card, they charge 2.75% on all purchases, there is no monthly fee and it's free to add credit to the card if I do it online or through a post office.

So if I spend £100 they'll only charge me £2.75 in fees, seems a good deal if u ask me.

You would only fill your household with a shitload of toys.......I thought you already did that. Maybe I am just thinking of sh1t toys like PS3.

I will now go get my flack jacket on for when the fanboys see this.

They seem a good alternative to me witchy, you cant overspend.

@ English..

I think most of them do mate, I almost signed up for one earlier that wanted £4.95 per month even if I never used the thing, then they charged 2.75% for every transaction including loading money onto the card.

That's why I think the Virgiin one is quite good.

Who mentioned a Visa card mate?? :err:

Ahhh, I think you mean the Visa Debit card, that's a different system to the standard Maestro (switch) system that other banks use, the Visa Debit card is accepted by far more retailers.

My bank uses the pissy Maestro system. :(

Last edited:
been reading this thread,
whats the diffrence between visa debit. and your debit card????
never been refused with my card before.

been reading this thread,
whats the diffrence between visa debit. and your debit card????
never been refused with my card before.

Visa, Mastercard, Maestro etc are all different cards, usually a debit card is a bank account card whereas most Visa/Mastercards are credit cards, unless its a Visa debit which witchy posted about.

i think the big difference between using this and a bank card is avoiding charges. it happens a lot with maestro, they told me this when i opened the account lol i got charges every month, even tho i'm convinced i never went over, and if i did THEY should not have allowed the transaction. internet transactions are slow as fook with maestro. it's sucks the lama's ass

;(

Actually my online Maestro transactions are lightening fast mate, instantaneous actually. :)

Maybe it all depends on the issuing bank?

Just had a think about this, do you mean the length of time it takes the bank to actually remove the funds from your account? If so then I totally agree, it can take almost a week and it can get very confusing not knowing wether or not they've taken their payment yet.

Last edited:
Actually my online Maestro transactions are lightening fast mate, instantaneous actually. :)

Maybe it all depends on the issuing bank?

i mean, it goes through straight away but it doesn't show on the available balance at the hole in the wall. meaning you can take out more than you should, leading to charges. thats wot i found anyway :) fcuk maestro

Yer mate, I edited my post above.

I agree 100%

Have you thought of moviing your account to a bank that issues Visa Debit cards instead. I've always been able to use mine anywhere that has accepted Visa (which is just about everywhere).
Although it seems like a cheaper alternative to some others, 2.75% still seems like quite a high charge (especially when they charge the retailers about 2% aswell).

I have a Credit Card, (well two actually) but use it as a PAYG card basically. I just pay it off, usually before I've even had a statement, that way, no interest, and no monthly, or transaction charge...

Had them for years, and think I've only paid interest charges twice. Once was when used it to pay for moving costs etc, and the other time was because I got nobbed (by a so called mate) for a computer build that he decided after I'd built the effing thing that he couldn't pay for it...!

Back