Anyone beat a speeding charge yet ?

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Iam wondering if anyone has had a speeding ticket through the post and actually denied it rather than the usual "ok i hold my hands up, it was me" course of action ???

What I figure is there is no way they can proove who was driving the car unless they have a photo of the driver at that exact time, that would be correct, would it not ?? afterall, if they couldnt proove a man held a bank up or a man murdered someone then there is no way the prosecution can prosecute the person, so the same laws must apply to driving too, no proof no charge ??? If a family has 5 people using the same single car at all different times and they get a speed ticket in the post, who was driving ?? each member of the family say it wasnt them, so it reverts back to the registered owner of the vehicle, but he also says he didnt drive the car on that day, so am i not right in saying that then its up to the prosecuter to provide proof of who was driving, and not the car owner ??? afterall the car owner wouldnt be able to keep track of who drove the car where and when etc, so why should he accept responsibilty ??? He shouldnt !!! most of us do though, thats the problem.

Ive heard recently that lots of people are quite rightly challenging this ass of a law and they are winning.

Has anyone done this or know anyone who has ?? i would really appreciate some input on this as I myself may be going down this road very very soon and I would like to know the in's and outs of the law.

Thanks.

i think that u can deney it if your ins covers any one else to drive the car but u will still have to pay the fine if the car is yours but u dont get points.......:Boo:

ive beaten the system... i got flashed on the a12 .. and i said that my cousin from france was driving.. andi sent his driving license... and they asked.. if he was insured on the car.. " ofcourse he was.. cuz any1 is insured on my car over the age of 25 :D

Iam wondering if anyone has had a speeding ticket through the post and actually denied it rather than the usual "ok i hold my hands up, it was me" course of action ???

What I figure is there is no way they can proove who was driving the car unless they have a photo of the driver at that exact time, that would be correct, would it not ?? afterall, if they couldnt proove a man held a bank up or a man murdered someone then there is no way the prosecution can prosecute the person, so the same laws must apply to driving too, no proof no charge ??? If a family has 5 people using the same single car at all different times and they get a speed ticket in the post, who was driving ?? each member of the family say it wasnt them, so it reverts back to the registered owner of the vehicle, but he also says he didnt drive the car on that day, so am i not right in saying that then its up to the prosecuter to provide proof of who was driving, and not the car owner ??? afterall the car owner wouldnt be able to keep track of who drove the car where and when etc, so why should he accept responsibilty ??? He shouldnt !!! most of us do though, thats the problem.

Ive heard recently that lots of people are quite rightly challenging this ass of a law and they are winning.

Has anyone done this or know anyone who has ?? i would really appreciate some input on this as I myself may be going down this road very very soon and I would like to know the in's and outs of the law.

Thanks.
this was the case before m8 but they changed the law to say that if the driver was not identified then it is the registered keeper who is liable

Hi yes my friend has had his ticket over turned.

He was speeding down a local road and did get zapped by the copper with the hand held gun he was doing 80 in a 30 and yea he admitted it but when the copper said he zapped him at 300 meters away it was a mistake as the bend he came round was below 300 meters from the copper.

when he asked the question to the copper he paused and then admited that his equiptment must have been playing up and had no other choice and had to let him go with a warning hahaha

Mr P

You are required by law to give them the information they ask for on the form but you are not obliged to incriminate yourself. If you do so but on a seperate sheet of paper stating that you do not want it used as evidence then you have complied but then they cannot use it as evidence. Stall for time for all your worth. Ask for photographic evidence and always wail til you get response required reminders before doing so then time will pass. If they cannot get you into court within 6 months of the offence then they will drop the prosecution.
Best Luck

I know someone who got zapped doing 60 in a 30..

Then blamed someone else.. For using the car without there consent.. Which he was caught Doing.. Just not on that day.. lol

Justice is sweet

only once

I got off with a speeding ticket once when i proved the camera had not been calibrated. My solicitor proved this in court by getting the officer to use it in court (uncalibrated) and it showed we were moving at 11 MPH the sheriff was not amused at police.

also i think that if it is a fixed camara u can ask when was the last time that it was servied .i think that it is to be checked everyday "dont quote me".:Boo:

If you get caught try being an adult and paying up.
If you can't afford the ticket then don't speed.

Better still just don't speed.

he was doing 80 in a 30

I know someone who got zapped doing 60 in a 30..

Not happy until a kid is dead ?.

I can understand motorway speeding but a 30 mph zone is 30 mph for a reason.

Suppose people think it is ok to drink and speed as well ?

l must be getting old lol but just drive to where your going theres no need to speed . unless lm on a bike and then l cant help myself .. on open roads . have to agree 30 is 30 for a reason

Unless you get a ticket sent by recorded delivery that you have to sign for just ignore it dont even respond they cant prove you have recived anything if you dont sign for it . I did it I got 2 normal mail letters asking who was driving ignored em herd nowt ever since.

its funny you talk about this as i have never been done

but i think i have got one this morning i pulled out a bit quick infront of a lorry (it was 7am and not long up :eek:) and had to speed up so it never hit me and i never saw but i reckon i was going 34-36 over the lines :(

gutted but i agree with ellie you should not be going over 30 in built up areas its wrong you not seen the little girl being hit at 30 advert ?

i do however go over on the motorway so i cant be to critical

Regards
Mickie D

Better still just don't speed.

Not happy until a kid is dead ?.

I can understand motorway speeding but a 30 mph zone is 30 mph for a reason.

Suppose people think it is ok to drink and speed as well ?

you took the words out of my mouth m8, 80 in a 30 is ridiculous, if my daughter was in street at that time, the guy behind the wheel would have known about it, believe me.

ok i speed a little myself, but only when necessary, like to overtake or avoid something.

i have been done for doing 43 in a 30, only cos the road i was doing 43 on, used to be a 40 road, and when cop pulled me over, he asked what speed i was doing, i said "40" he said try 43, i thought, 'what a twat' and said to him "what, 3 miles over the limit" he replied, try 13, this a 30 road.

my stupid response was "i always do 40 down here"

he said, yr lucky we havent done you before then. speed limit changed couple years ago on the road in question.

you took the words out of my mouth m8, 80 in a 30 is ridiculous, if my daughter was in street at that time, the guy behind the wheel would have known about it, believe me.

ok i speed a little myself, but only when necessary, like to overtake or avoid something.

i have been done for doing 43 in a 30, only cos the road i was doing 43 on, used to be a 40 road, and when cop pulled me over, he asked what speed i was doing, i said "40" he said try 43, i thought, 'what a twat' and said to him "what, 3 miles over the limit" he replied, try 13, this a 30 road.

he said, yr lucky we havent done you before then. speed limit changed couple years ago on the road in question.
with my eyes closed and on the phone lol

Thanks.

ok, ive now got the photo, its a rear view of the car, picture taken from the opposite side a dual carrigway, i didnt think that was legal, is it ??? i always thought they would have to be on the same side of the road, know what i mean ?? it was one of those mobile van cameras, anyone know ???

Also, iam thinking of telling the truth and saying that we (myself & wife) must have drove the car that day but we cant honestly say which one of us it was., what would happen in a situation like this ? anyone know ?

our lass got done by one of them vans doing 34 in a 30 zone. the dosey fecker. hers has been dragging on since july and she's only just had the letter to pay the fine and get the points on her license now

This is the legislation that is being applied. It is section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988

172.—(1) This section applies—

(a) to any offence under the preceding provisions of this Act except—
(i) an offence under Part V, or
(ii) an offence under section 13, 16, 51(2), 61(4), 67(9), 68(4), 96 or 117,and to an offence under section 178 of this Act,

(b) to any offence under sections 25, 26, 27 and 45 of the [1988 c. 53.] Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, and

(c) to any offence against any other enactment relating to the use of vehicles on roads.

(2) Where the driver of a vehicle is alleged to be guilty of an offence to which this section applies—

(a) the person keeping the vehicle shall give such information as to the identity of the driver as he may be required to give by or on behalf of a chief officer of police, and

(b) any other person shall if required as stated above give any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver.

In this subsection references to the driver of a vehicle include references to the person riding a cycle.

(3) A person who fails to comply with the requirement of subsection (2)(a) above is guilty of an offence unless he shows to the satisfaction of the court that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle or, as the case may be, the rider of the cycle was.

(4) A person who fails to comply with the requirement of subsection (2)(b) above is guilty of an offence.

Speeding is a relevant offence. The bottom line is if you fail to identify the driver by claiming that you have no way of knowing who was driving then yes, you may get off with it. This would be at the discretion of the relevant police force. However you can properly be reported and taken to court under this section. It is then not an argument as to whether or not someone was driving, it becomes an argument about whether you should know who was driving.

An important point is it is for you to satisfy the court that you legitimately could not know who was driving and not for the prosecution to prove you do. this section has been challenged in the highest court in the country and, even though it can cause people to incriminate themselves (generally not legal), it was held that the protection of the public is more important than the rights of the person.

BTW the penalty for a conviction under this section has been increased to 6 points (the speeding fixed penalty is 3). This is to 'dissuade' people from trying to avoid the consequences of their actions.

Ultimately it's up to you what you do.

Hey ppl let me say one thing, speed limits are there for a reason you should be safe than sorry especially in public areas. however if you have been flashed by a camera and theres no way out as the registered keeper of the vehicle would be held responsible if you did not prive accurate details and if found the you provided in accurate details you can be done for preverting the court of justice and a big yes big fine possibly. The only way out is if you no some1 at head office lol. lol who can put in the refrence number in and put a message case closed. done and dusted. speaking from experience. trust me this works.. In other wordsa you have to be connected. just have to pay a little price for it..:: multi :

nice post multi :

Biggy007, so you know someone at head office eh? shall we say 50quid? :p

Back