Any web developers on the board?

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a friend who wants to build a website that is database driven. He wants something that is easy to manage and update so I think he'll need a CMS of some sort.

He wants around 5 or 6 page templates max which he can update via the CMS.

Anyone have any idea whats the cheapest way to go about this or does anyone on the forum fancy tendering for the job?

Does he want to do it himself or have someone build it for him?

If he wants to do it, i would suggest looking at some PHP and MySql tutorials, you could even throw together a CMS without a database, just reading and writing to files.

He could use a pre-made one, i think phpnuke is one.

DOS - I know that he has looked in Mambo as well as other off the shelf solutions but TBH he isn't technical at all and no way does he have the skills to implement something even as basic as this. I don't think he'll need a bespoke solution as it really is a very simple site.

The whole front and back end would have to be built by the developer. We would simply provide the design for the page design and then have the developer take care of the rest.

The only thing he can do is populate the website with images and text via the CMS once he has been schooled in doing so. I think I'll be the one who will have to learn from the developer on how to do this and then teach him further down the line.

DOS - I know that he has looked in Mambo as well as other off the shelf solutions but TBH he isn't technical at all and no way does he have the skills to implement something even as basic as this. I don't think he'll need a bespoke solution as it really is a very simple site.

The whole front and back end would have to be built by the developer. We would simply provide the design for the page design and then have the developer take care of the rest.

The only thing he can do is populate the website with images and text via the CMS once he has been schooled in doing so. I think I'll be the one who will have to learn from the developer on how to do this and then teach him further down the line.

one on one web development ain't cheap, especially if your mates wants a custom solution, template design is time consuming, if he has/wants his own template design its expensive because he will probably want the copyright.

custom template design, for a cms is usually around £1000.
installation setup and training on a cms system around £1000.
Cms licence fees around £500-2000 or use an open source version....
Cost of hosting, domain and band width around £500 per year(depending on bandwidth) and space required.
cost of credit card merchant and https domain around £400 per year..

a cms aint cheap to setup mate, a cms requires somebody with a lot of programming knowledge and experience, it can take a few months to get a cms setup right..

i have devoloped many cms systems for local business and charities, its hard work and time consuming..
you could probably setup one a lot cheaper with some guy who thinks he knows what hes doing, but i know whats involved for custom solutions hence my pricing, i have also spent many months setting up and training folks only to be told they have no money to pay me, hence i am very reluctant to take on web development jobs now...

best to try your self before going into the deep end, folks think they can setup a website and watch the money roll in, it just aint that simple, 98% of websites fail...main problem is getting visitors, a top position in search engines will cost a lot of money and maybe take years unless his products are a niche, ask him what he wants to sell then do a search for the products on google, there you will see your competition and it will probably flabber gast you, the competion is your downfall.

Last edited:
one on one web development ain't cheap, especially if your mates wants a custom solution, template design is time consuming, if he has/wants his own template design its expensive because he will probably want the copyright.

custom template design, for a cms is usually around £1000.
installation setup and training on a cms system around £1000.
Cms licence fees around £500-2000 or use an open source version....
Cost of hosting, domain and band width around £500 per year(depending on bandwidth) and space required.
cost of credit card merchant and https domain around £400 per year..

a cms aint cheap to setup mate, a cms requires somebody with a lot of programming knowledge and experience, it can take a few months to get a cms setup right..

i have devoloped many cms systems for local business and charities, its hard work and time consuming..
you could probably setup one a lot cheaper with some guy who thinks he knows what hes doing, but i know whats involved for custom solutions hence my pricing, i have also spent many months setting up and training folks only to be told they have no money to pay me, hence i am very reluctant to take on web development jobs now...

best to try your self before going into the deep end, folks think they can setup a website and watch the money roll in, it just aint that simple, 98% of websites fail...main problem is getting visitors, a top position in search engines will cost a lot of money and maybe take years unless his products are a niche, ask him what he wants to sell then do a search for the products on google, there you will see your competition and it will probably flabber gast you, the competion is your downfall.

Thanks for the info techie.

Its a free site that he is creating for cricket info and news and there will be no charge for visitors. I thought that a CMS would make additions to the site a whole lot easier but if its going to cost him a few grand then I really dont think that he can push out to that large of a budget. I think he wants to spend around the £1500 all in including hosting for a year and 1 or 2 hours of support a month in case there are any issues.

I guess I'm going to have to try and build the website myself then without a CMS. All updates will have to be manually done which means I'll have to do them to start with.

I guess I better start shopping for some templates then. Drat I thought that this was going to be straight forward and cheap.

Appreciate the info provided :)

well if your gonna try yourself heres a few pointers..

use Joomla...

get a good host- 1and1- used em for years, they are top notch..and uk based..

excellent joomla warez site... h**p://w*w.gfxtofu.com/

if you use the premium templates, ensure you edit the footer to remove creator link backs..

have fun!

and learn photoshop cs3, as you'll need it to change the templates, logos etc...

and smartftp will be needed (its free and includes a script editor)

Joomla! A User's Guide: Building a Successful Joomla! Powered Website

nice joomla book, download it mate...

h**p://www.megaupload.com/?d=3D0ZNVBL
or
h**p://rapidshare.com/files/107373759/prentice_hall_jug.rar

If you want to build sophisticated websites that can be easily edited and updated, you need to master Joomla!-the world's #1 open source content management system. Now there's an easy-to-read, easy-to-use guide to Joomla! for every site manager, administrator, and developer. Leading Joomla! consultant Barrie North covers all you need to get results: installation, administration, site organization, template development, content updates, and a whole lot more. You'll find never-before-published tips, tricks, and troubleshooting solutions, as well as three start-to-finish case studies.

New to Joomla? No problem! This book starts with the simplest design and system concepts, and builds your expertise step-by-step. You'll rapidly master Joomla!'s power, even if you have no content management, scripting, or CSS expertise. Experienced with Joomla!? You'll turn to this book constantly for its authoritative, plain-English, example-rich Joomla! 1.0 and 1.5 reference content.

Last edited:
fire me a pm, can code him something cheap but it wont be something as functional as mambo or joomla

Back