Any Tips - Painting glass panel doors !!!!

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Been doing a bit of painting today around door frames, architraves etc.

Only thing left to do is the glass panel doors, these were originally painted with the glass out and therefore have NO paint at all on glass with a nice clean edge.

They now look yellow in comparison with the door surrounds but i just had a go with a proper cutting in brush and i have a staedy hand but the results are not good.....getting paint on glass which looks awful.

Using a water based vinyl silk paint not a gloss but it is quite thick.

Anyone got any tips on doing these, they will need at least 2 coats and don't really fancy masking them as it will take me hours.

Cheers

Best bet is to mask it off. What about one of those blade scrapers, looks like a scraper but has a fairly sharp edge, scrape any bits off the glass when you're done.

EDIT: Contacted someone i know there, says above could etch the glass, you can actually get a glass scraper. Is it flat glass panels?

Last edited:
Yes flat glass panels, with it needing 2 coats can i allow the paint to dry before i remove the masking ?

Got 4 doors to do with loads of panels each door, plus both sides...Nightmare.

What do the tradesmen do ??

Tradesman mask off with maskingtape before painting. a tip here use magic tape (bookbinding tape) which u can pic up from any stationaries. WH Smiths will have some im sure.

Easiest solution is to remove any paint on the glass is get a stanley knife blade.remove it from the handle and carefully cut it at the edge of the frame and then with it angled (about 20 degrees) against the glass carefully slice/scrape the paint off.

You used to be able to buy a pen from B&Stew,which you just ran round the glass guided by your framing. This left a waxey surface which the paint would not adhere to,and cleaned off easily. Not too sure though if they are still available,they were only a couple of quid,you can use them time and time again.

If you are going to use tape,don,t let it dry too long or too thickly as it can peal the paint off in places when removing. Personally cutting in brushes(well worn in paintbrushes)of various sizes to the job should suffice. If you have trouble cutting in the corners use a small pointed brush to paint in,then smooth out. Depending on the paint being used,keep a rag with some thinners handy. If you want to steady your hand,use a mall stick if needed(which is a stick with some rag wound on the edge). Lean the rag end on the surface to be painted to avoid marking,hold the other with your free hand and then paint away.Try a little practice to get comfortable.

Hope this helps You!

Back