any repair technicians out there?

ferkyew

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Hopefully someone can help me. I have a sony vaio PCG-GR314MP that has suffered an overvolt so the main fuse or dc/dc convertor or rectifier has gone pop. Does anyone know where this is, or would anybody be able to identify it on a highly detailed photo of the motherboard.

I wouldn't have minded but the damn thing went while running my gps software yesterday leaving me lost for hours:(

It's most likely the fuse. It usually takes a much higher voltage than normal to take the rectifier out. DC/DC converter... possibly but I would try the fuse first. Idea of the fuse is to protect the equipment.

that's what I thought, unit is disassembled and I have been trying to find the fuse for 2 days now, can anyone identify it on a high res picture if I post one?

mmmm it's not uncommon for those types of units to have a resistor fuse, look for something that looks like a small resistor with a value written on it maybe mA

Hang on a min here, are you saying you where using it from the mains...?? If so why are you taken the notebook apart, you should be looking at the external mains psu..no?
Or are your saying you where using it from another power source? ?
If you've attached another power source to the socket on the notebook, that was the incorrect voltage/current (which should be 16v I think). Then your going to find it hard work me thinks. There will almost certainly be multiple dc/dc converters for different voltage rails. If it does have fuseable links, then they mey well be surface mount devices, these tend to be translucent in appearance & simular to other sm resistors, ie 2.1mm*1.25mm @0.8mm thick (this is a very common size). Have you checked the (main) battery? That may have a fuseable link in it, some notebooks need to have a battery inserted to run (even from the mains), which incorporates some protection to save the cell, so have a look at that...
That's about all I can think of at the mo...let us know how you get on

batteries both tested and fine. reason for disassembly was that I had been using a trust car adapter for the gps, (never had problems before). when I plugged it in, the laptop went out, the convertor was set at 20V (4v over, probably from using my other laptop and neglecting to correct it prior to connecting to the vaio:(). my vaio psu adaptor is ok too. and i have tested nearly every smd type resistor (or resistor looking) that I can find.
I cant see any burns/scorches anywhere and there is no acrid smell so I don't think it's major damage thats why I was looking for a fusible link. I have even checked the power board between the batteries and motherboard and cant find a fault.

Hmm...Think your gonna need to get it to a Fony service agent. Try posting a piccie if you want, can have a look..nothing to loose.

Back