Any old CB users here?

i have one on the house and the car, i also carry a legal document for when (not if) i get stopped by the police, as their arguement is that its the same as holding a phone, but legally, its not

if i have a rummage ill post the link for you

oooh the mass 5000... nice little unit there mate... is it fully expanded.. i know simonthewizard had reviews this and there a nice bit of kit... i been looking at getting one myself..

gotta get my antenna up now i moved but gotta find a good site for it.. (god dam council flats)

also on the note of car use... use of two-way recievers are totally legal.. CB PMR or even a 2m/70cm handy... the worlds your oyster..

and just out of curiosity why no 555 at home... afraid of risking ya licence ?

Of course it's expanded, came with the lead and software.
FT897 at home.
Wouldn't risk the naughtys at home, they throw the book at hams as i'm "supposed" to know better.
I wanted a new toy and I like the idea that if I get a pull I can reset the radio to 10mtrs, they even print the instructions on the radio to reset it.

Last edited:
I got an ham international side band upper middle and lower band ain't used it in 15 years or so cq cq cq dx

Digging up an old thread but just got one of these for the car.
Can play on 10mtrs but also have a play on 555.
Can't play on 555 from home but /m should be fine.
Can't believe that I can't use a phone in the car but ham radio and cb are allowed ?

Ive just picked up the CRT version for my neighbour the ss6900.. its a little cracker.. not like they used to be :)

Like everything i start as a hobby,i had it all but last serious setup was in the early 90's.....

Cobra 148GTL DX with all the mods,freq counter,homemade echo mike & rodger bleep,too many burners even had a old 1kw burner which never hardly got used for obvious reasons lol....

Antennas at the time.....Might Magnum & Sigma 4,massive twigs can do some damage on the airwaves...

Good days think i might look into getting a setup again,getting boring in my cupboard with my pc's & sat setups lol

I got an ham international side band upper middle and lower band ain't used it in 15 years or so cq cq cq dx
was my fav radio back in the day. audio on tx and rx was second to none...but feck me they were shoit for bleed over..had what every called super low super hi fitted to it. lived in a high rise at the time. top floor high gain siver rodd and a dy-pole side ways and string so i could turn it... could'nt afford a beam and a rotator back then haha

Ive just picked up the CRT version for my neighbour the ss6900.. its a little cracker.. not like they used to be :)

It's the same radio as is the anytone555 and a few others.
I was looking at the anytone555 but they all seemed to be version 4 and I wanted the version5, I never saw the ss6900.
They will do 40 watts ssb but mine is set at 12watts as If I need it I have a 400watt linear from the old days and it don't like to much power into it.
I won't be connecting the linear unless I can't get any contacts which is unlikely I as I got a french and a belgium station the day it come with a 5/8 vertical that was 6inches from the ground without a linear in line.
I'm hoping to set it up in the car this weekend so I can play next week on the way to and from work.
Hopefully it will beat listening to Radio 4 when i'm in a queue on the M25.

My favourite ever cb was the stalker 9fd but they don't have many channels and no 10mtr band.

Last edited:
I'm a radio ham not active these days at least now you dont have to renew the licence annualy G7 DPV

I had one of these the Midland 100 M in my day cruising the streets with a mag mount on the roof of my car and SWR meter under the seat just in case. ;) Do you guys remember putting the mag mount on a biscuit tin in the house, so cool. :)

images

Last edited:
I had one of these the Midland 100 M in my day cruising the streets with a mag mount on the roof of my car and SWR meter under the seat just in case. ;) Do you guys remember putting the mag mount on a biscuit tin in the house, so cool. :)

images

Yeah m8,

And a DV27 mine had ground planes on it but dont think it made much diff lol,once ended up mounting it on a gutter mount outside my bedroom window

Dv27.jpg

"Any old CB users here?"
OLD being the operative word, we'll be going on about Watneys Red Barrel, Party 7's, Players No6 fags, old money and how you could get change out of Half a Crown next !!
Sorry, just an oldies rant...........My daughter was just asking where her mum was and I said "I don't know, maybe she's run off with the coal-man" and she asked me what a coal-man was.

"Any old CB users here?"
OLD being the operative word, we'll be going on about Watneys Red Barrel, Party 7's, Players No6 fags, old money and how you could get change out of Half a Crown next !!
Sorry, just an oldies rant...........My daughter was just asking where her mum was and I said "I don't know, maybe she's run off with the coal-man" and she asked me what a coal-man was.
Its the tax collector you have to watch out for keep your lights off and pretend you are not in or he will take your money. hahaha

Back