Any locksmiths in the house?

HibbyDave

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my upvc door is fecked, the door is locked but the keys wont open it, they just keep turning without engaging the lock?

it's a eurolock I believe, been on for 13 years approx, I've searched t'internet high and low looking for this specific problem, all I can
see is it maybe just the eurolock itself or it maybe the mechanism, if it was just the lock I think I could just burst it as I don't think it's
one of they anti bump ones, but if I do that and it's the mechanism I'm fecked, any clues?....over and out. :(

There is a bit of metal that the actuator on the Eurocylinder contacts to move the mechanism, it's probably snapped.

Just a thought but have you tried the key in both sides? Not that there is much to go wrong with the Eurocylinder.

Do you mean "anti snap"? Anti bump is something different.

Is it a door with panels held in with beading?

Yes mate both sides same problem, the actuator is that the little metal thing in middle of eurolock? just checked it's called a cam.

I meant anti-bump, mine is the old one that I think would break, I'm thinking just the eurolock has broke and should be ok to set about it. :oops:

Bumping is a technique using a specially cut key but snapping is literally breaking the Eurocylinder in half and reaching in with pliers and turning the cam/actuator.

I don't think it's likely that the cam on the Eurocylinder itself has gone, I think it's more likely that it's part of the door mechanism that's faulty. It happened to mine and I had to barge my way through the front door in the middle of the night (nobody called plod even though someone must have heard LOL).

Did your key just keep turning?

It has done that before and seized completely also. Neither was a fault of the Eurocylinder though :).

The only thing stopping the Eurocylinder turning 360° is parts of the door mechanism, the cam will pass through the body of the lock.

I've just had similar but with a new anti stap but mortice lock type. The key was turning in the lock but not locking the door I thought it was the barrell. I called coral out as it was under warranty and it turned out to be the locking mechanism within the door and the whole steel plate needed to be replaced. It was under warranty luckily.

Let us know how you get on @HibbyDave.

I think you used to be able to open these mechanisms up but they look like rivets instead of screws now. I think I damaged mine several times by testing it to see if I locked it, bit of an OCD thing...

I don't know much about the door mechanisms but I can open and single pin pick a wide range of locks :D.

Just an update, @Spectre you were bang on the money mate, the mechanism had gone, had to call out a locksmith, he had it
opened in no time, had to go to screwfix for replacement cost £90 and he charged £90 for his labour, I was going to just get
a new one but they where around the £450 mark, so in the end it still worked out cheaper in the long run. :)

Back