Any home brewers out there?

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first home brew lager. I didn't have a brewing barrel so have put it in a large plastic storage box with a lid. It's in the airing cupboard atm bubbling away.
I have thought about using coffee filter papers to filter it after it has finished fermenting to get rid of the frothy stuff on top.

:Cheers:Just after a few hints or tips please.

I used to put it in pop bottles with a wee bit of sugar. Let it settle for a few days (weeks) the sediment settles and if you pour it very carefully you can get over 80% out nice and clear. The other thing you could use is a pressure barrel. I used to love my home brew lol. Strong stuff tho.

I used to put it in pop bottles with a wee bit of sugar. Let it settle for a few days (weeks) the sediment settles and if you pour it very carefully you can get over 80% out nice and clear. The other thing you could use is a pressure barrel. I used to love my home brew lol. Strong stuff tho.

Yeah, we are saving old 2 litre coke bottles to put it in. I read about 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle. Just seems to take ages..........only 9 days to go before I start bottling it.

Yeah, we are saving old 2 litre coke bottles to put it in. I read about 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle. Just seems to take ages..........only 9 days to go before I start bottling it.
u shgould have finings to help clear the beer
put it through a filter and get a gas keg
that way u will have a beer with a head

spot on from davidh.

There are other additives you can put in to clear it up also. However if you bottle it, you may get some cloudiness left over in the bottle itself (at least I have had this before).

There are some really great all in one kits out there now that will produce quite good beer.

I used to love brewing my own, dont just stop at beer, you can make a gallon of wine out of some old carrots, sugar and some yeast, tastes like parrafin but it will blow your head off.

Knew an old guy once upon a time, he was in his 70's and was trying to learn Usenet, "auld alex" he was a master of the carrot brewing art ;)

Same here used to brew mine to , Eveything with hops etc, Kitchen was a mess but GOOOOD stuff.
Used recipes off net and books. Bit better than the kits you get. Stuff it into a keg and leave in outhouse ......settled itself then tap off to drink....

I have a book of old school home brewing recipes I would gladly share if anyone would like some.

If you are using 2L bottles you'll need more than 1 tsp sugar.
I used to put 1 tsp per pint bottle.
The important thing is keeping everything clean and sterilised.
I used to do it but haven't done for years.

My m8 at work is well into it and has 4 different ones in a competition atm lol

Curly

Fook, Fook, Fook.

Think I fooked it already. I think my airing cupboard is too hot for it and the yeast has burnt out now.

Just checked and it is 27 degrees c in there. Oh well. free vinegar anyone?

Just seen this,

I am what they call a craft brewer. I have my own Mashtun, Boiler (Not the Wife) and fermenting vessel.

Doing it from scratch is the best, the house will smell great.

If you brew it correctly you will not need any fining's as all the protein will be removed in the mash. If you do need fining's use Isinglass.

Even if you use the kits get some hops to add to the last 15 of the boil to give aroma:)

As you have said above it has gone overtemp in the cupboard it may not have gone bad as the critical part is the 1st day, it will Just ferment VERY fast! |Check the Gravity if its about 1008ish all ish good:) and you have not killed it.

As you have said above it has gone overtemp in the cupboard it may not have gone bad as the critical part is the 1st day, it will Just ferment VERY fast! |Check the Gravity if its about 1008ish all ish good:) and you have not killed it.

Well, the hydrometer reads 1002 is that god or bad???

I made up about 6 2ltr bottles and 1 3ltr bottle. It looks ok, cloudy but no floaters that I can see. It also tastes quite dry and alcoholic, had a couple of glasses and leaving the rest except 1 bottle to mature! If it lasts that long.

Am I meant to have a creamy white substance all over the bottom of my bucket?:Cheers:

Leave it for 2 weeks before you drink it, to let the yeast settle.

The sludge at the bottom is the dead/spent yeast:)

Back